Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do Bees reuse wax  (Read 13737 times)

Offline Kev

• House Bee
Do Bees reuse wax
« on: January 21, 2007, 06:05:31 pm »
This may be a stupid question, but y'all seem pretty tolerant and a search on beeswax comes up with about a zillion posts, so here goes.

I've seen posts on letting bees clean up the cappings, but will they reuse the wax, too? I've got some busted foundation that I was thinking about giving them. Will they take it and use it to make comb?

Kev
One could do worse than be a swinger of birches.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Do Bees reuse wax
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2007, 06:15:40 pm »
>I've seen posts on letting bees clean up the cappings, but will they reuse the wax, too?

Not in my experience.  They will tear down comb in the hive and move it to reuse wax, but once it falls on the floor they are done with it.

>I've got some busted foundation that I was thinking about giving them. Will they take it and use it to make comb?

In my experience, no.

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2007, 06:23:47 pm »
In my experience, no.

Looks like I'll make up some nice cakes for lubricating screws, then.

too bad though

Kev

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2007, 02:08:29 am »

Only way to reuse cappings or other wax is melt and do foundations. That is not enough to renew combs but covers most of needs.

Offline sean

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2007, 08:52:18 am »
have some old frames around the back that i had cut the wax off.Saw a bee with bits and pieces of wax on her legs like pollen

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2007, 09:27:38 am »
I have tried to give pieces of wax to hive between frames but I have not seen that it hives any advantage.

When I have honey filled burr in hives and I push it between frames, bees cleat that very well and I cannot se harmfull rubbish in hives.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2007, 10:07:58 am »
Finsky, now pushing the honey filled burr inbetween the combs is a good idea.  I have seen that when I have reversed brood chambers with my colonies early last summer.  I did not know what to do with the burr comb so I cut it out and put it in my container that I used for scraped wax off into.

That would be a much easier system, which I will do.  I am surprised at the strength of the burr comb.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2007, 08:35:50 pm »

Only way to reuse cappings or other wax is melt and do foundations.

How difficult is that? It would seem hard to get the thickness just right.

Kev

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 07:17:11 am »
In Finland we bring wax to bee stuff company which actually makes foundations. When I give 10 kg wax, the equal measure foundations pay 3 $/kg.

Once a year I put capping wax into a big container, some water on bottom and boild it so that wax melts and rises to surface. Then I gather  wax from surface and pour it through sieve.

To make own foundations is hard job. I think that wax is too expencive to make candles.

Offline Kev

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 09:25:53 pm »
In Finland we bring wax to bee stuff company which actually makes foundations. ...
To make own foundations is hard job. I think that wax is too expencive to make candles.

Brushy Mtn and other US companies will do the same with the extra wax.

Our beekeeping club had Kirk Webster talk about his work to breed mite resistant Russians. He mentioned at the end of his talk that he was working on making his own foundation and spent many a winter evening frustrated and annoyed.

I think I've better ways to get frustrated and annoyed.

kev

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 01:00:47 am »

I think I've better ways to get frustrated and annoyed.

It is enough dirty job when you melt old combs and  capping waxes.

anything