Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Red Tip Photinia = beeliscious bush  (Read 12885 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Red Tip Photinia = beeliscious bush
« on: May 27, 2008, 05:44:06 pm »
Greetings,

I've a huge one of these trees on the South side of my house.  I see them all over the place here.  Big red and green leaves.  It had been flowering for about a week with little interest shown from the bees.   Very fragrant though (kind of sickly sweet).  Today there are so many bees on it I thought I might have had a swarm in there (Bzzzzz!!).  I captured some close up images of the bees foraging.  Perhaps someone can help me ID this one.  It's not deciduous... though loads of leaves turn red & drop (just not all in the fall).  I can capture better pics of the entire tree if that'd be helpful. 

TIA,
Dane

« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 09:06:26 pm by Dane Bramage »

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
Re: Beeliscious tree (need ID)
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2008, 06:17:54 pm »
Thx for the ID guess keith!

I don't think it's any sort of pear.  There is no fruit (does the one you sent have fruit?), leaves look different - stay on year-round too.

Here's more pics:

It's the middle, tall one in last pic.  Fence is 6'+, to give some perspective.  I'll get more pics of the trunks (there are a few.. almost grows like a huge "bush" actually).

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 07:00:37 pm »
is that a Cleyera(sic) bush

Offline Jessaboo

• House Bee
    • Three Little Birds
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 07:27:55 pm »
Have you noticed a fragrance and does it get any type of berry (even an insignificant one) in the late summer or fall?

I am going to say it is some type of Viburnum (there are over 100 types but Arrowwood Viburnum comes to mind http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/forestry/trees/viburnum/tabid/5430/Default.aspx) and if you answer yes to the above questions I would feel pretty confident of that answer.

BTW - beelicious should become official beekeeping lingo - it is so much nicer to say "Viburnum is really beelicious" than it is to say "Viburnum has a good nectar flow"  Thanks for the new term!

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2008, 09:11:05 pm »
Red tip photenia

Ding ding ding - we have a winnah!  I think that must be it.   The thing is taller than my 3 story house so I was thinking "tree" but... I guess it is just a massive bush!

Red-tip is a wonderful, large, evergreen shrub with attractive foliage and showy white flowers. Its claim to fame is brilliant red new foliage that appears in the spring.

Seems like it is susceptible to some diseases and, while otherwise an excellent evergreen choice for landscaping, therefore problematic.  I'm not having any problems with it here.. other than it is HUGE!  I prune it back from the roof every year.

BTW - beelicious should become official beekeeping lingo - it is so much nicer to say "Viburnum is really beelicious" than it is to say "Viburnum has a good nectar flow"  Thanks for the new term!

YW Jessaboo!  Thank you for trying to help me ID that bush.  I'm at a complete loss on how to ID a lot of these plants.  I'll have to copyright that term eh?  ;)  beeliscious©   :lol:

Thanks again!
~Dane

anything