Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Idaho dreaming.....  (Read 4228 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Idaho dreaming.....
« on: October 26, 2007, 12:58:30 am »

i was in Idaho this week looking for the new homestead.  this is representative of the property i looked at.  other pics on site, but you get the idea.

i love that state and if i could pack up and go now, i'd be living in a cave somewhere up in the hills  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline UtahBees

• House Bee
    • My Photos on Flickr
Re: Idaho dreaming.....
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2007, 01:49:17 am »
Idaho sure is beautiful. Great choice!

I really like Lava Hot Springs, and the Idaho side of Bear Lake. We seem to be able to get up there every year and enjoy the Raspberry milkshakes  8-)

You should check out the Utah side of Bear Lake - just about 15-20 miles south-east or so (Randolf, Woodruff). Very nice land there.

The East-side outskirts of Heber city is also very pretty (more close to me). But maybe too populated for you!?

Regards,

Scott

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2007, 08:37:41 am »
Kathy, that's gorgeous, lucky you (although I'll bet hard work has more to do with it than luck  ;)). 

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2007, 10:37:54 am »
Looks like a scene from my wife's favorite tv show, little house on the prairie. That's a beautiful spot there .
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2007, 11:01:14 am »
Kathy, so, are you guys planning on buying some property and building on it?  You should tell us a little bit more, we are a nosey bunch (well, I speak for myself).  That property looks beautiful, I love the wide open space and the mountain skylines.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2007, 01:52:10 pm »
we are looking for a bit of what we used to have here.  a place out of the way where people don't bother you if you don't bother them.  i told my husband when we bought this place " i want a home remote enough that if my underwear is on the line, i don't have to get dressed to go out and get it"  :-).  we don't have that anymore.  i want it back.

side story:  i emailed my sister and her husband the location and pictures from idaho.  she asked me if i'd taken a gun on the trip, as i was traveling alone.  i told her i had.  her husband suggested that i should have taken a man!  wonder what good he thought an unarmed man would have been to me???   :-D
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2007, 01:05:22 am »
Kathy, oooh you make me wanna laugh!!!!!  So, then......why bother to wear underwear  :-P :)

I admire that you have the good sense to bring a gun along with you when you are travellin' alone, (be it in your vehicle or on your mare!!!!).  It conjures up a really beautiful picture of you in my mind's eye.  Yeah!!!!  Have a great day, I hope that you find that dream property where you don't even have to wear any clothes in the dog days of hot summer  :) ;)  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 11:37:47 am »
I usually have a big man and a gun with me when I travel.  That way I can protect him if he's slow on the draw!  :evil:

Seriously, Kathy, I'm with you, I wish I lived where I could be far away from the general public.  Someday.  I'm tied to my home I've lived in since 1978, especially since my mother and sister are within two miles of me......my sister may need help someday, but she'd move with us, I'm pretty sure.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 04:32:32 pm »
we grew up with guns.  first time my sister fired the 12 gage, it knocked her on her backside. we told her she wasn't big enough for it yet! she moved to england and married someone there.  he is a wonderful guy, but does not understand gun ownership.  up until recently, most of the cops over there did not even carry.  more do now, but many still do not.  the only guns allowed to the farmers and hunters are o/u shotguns.  even those must be registered.

he is going to buy me carbon credits for Christmas and my brother and i are going to take him shooting  :-)

Idaho has been "discovered".  i can not believe how much the land prices have gone up in the last few years.  it is hard to believe that so many people can live so far out.  you'd think it would be retired folk, but others seem to be able to make the move and make a living.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 10:59:34 pm »
Hey Kathy, it sounds like some new people moved in and did some cutting and opened things up a bit. Is this what happened?
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2007, 01:59:18 am »
that land had been logged a long time ago (the land in the picture) .  it is also where an old wagon trail goes through and forest service roads were built over part of the old trail.  there is quite a bit of timber left, but more on the acres owned by the state.

that land tends to be a bit bare anyway.  many places that are more rock than anything else.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2007, 07:08:48 am »
Was referring to where you live now. You mentioned you used to have more privacy and was wondering if things had changed adjacent to where you live now. It is nice to be able to walk around in your birthday clothes if you want to.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2007, 02:53:40 pm »
no logging.  just urban sprawl.  people find out they can divide their property and make money, so 5 houses go in where 1 once stood.  pretty soon we are having neighbors.  it's not that i don't like people, i just don't want to look out my door and see them.  :-)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2007, 08:10:34 pm »
Kathy, I understand where you're coming from 100%. A few weeks ago I was at my property in Mississippi and after showering, as I was entering the backdoor of our cabin, I was startled to see a large deer staring at me from 10 yards. I was in my birthday suit and noone around except the wildlife and my wife, who is sometimes wildlife to me, ha ha. Its our little home away from home where we intend to build someday and its very private and wooded, and we just love it.

anything