Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cutout to come, in old house  (Read 3501 times)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
Cutout to come, in old house
« on: June 03, 2008, 09:43:35 pm »
This one promises to be a lot of fun. 100-year old house, all beat up looking on the outside. 30' off the ground, but the homeowners have a bucket I can use for free. Took a look today, and the bees seem to be between the shingles and the brick wall of the house. Doesn't look like a lot of space, width wise, but...they're there. I have carte blanche to cut as much as I need to, so however spread out the hive is, I'm on it. Plus, they're paying me $65/hr to do it.

I'll post pics Saturday (cutout day) if I have time, otherwise, they'll be up Sunday.
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Cutout to come, in old house
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 11:34:49 pm »
Always good to have a bucket. ;) Have fun, take lots of pictures.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 08:27:42 am »
JP, I have a couple questions. How do you perch the hive body on the bucket where you put the brood comb you cut out? Where do you keep the pail for the honey comb? This is a very small bucket, and there's no ledge or space to keep this stuff beside me. I was thinking I'd pick up some sort of clamp on table to attach to the side of the bucket for the hive body, and figure something out for the pail.

Also, how do you use a boroscope when you're wearing a veil?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 11:04:14 am »
JP, I have a couple questions. How do you perch the hive body on the bucket where you put the brood comb you cut out? Where do you keep the pail for the honey comb? This is a very small bucket, and there's no ledge or space to keep this stuff beside me. I was thinking I'd pick up some sort of clamp on table to attach to the side of the bucket for the hive body, and figure something out for the pail.

Also, how do you use a boroscope when you're wearing a veil?

Use some 2 x 4's and make a little shelf with the bucket railing, like this:

I put the viewing eye piece right up against the netting.

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:51:02 pm »

Use some 2 x 4's and make a little shelf with the bucket railing,
...JP

Hmmm. The bucket I'm using is solid fiberglass, no railing. I suppose I could fashion something that would work by having two "forks" slip over the edge, and then some sort of clamp to hold it firm and level. It might not be pretty, but it should get the job done.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:26:50 pm »
maybe a frame hanger will do? Good luck!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2008, 01:54:15 am »

Use some 2 x 4's and make a little shelf with the bucket railing,
...JP

Hmmm. The bucket I'm using is solid fiberglass, no railing. I suppose I could fashion something that would work by having two "forks" slip over the edge, and then some sort of clamp to hold it firm and level. It might not be pretty, but it should get the job done.

Is there enough room to put a couple of cinder blocks? You could put your hive box on top, no?

...JP

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2008, 07:24:43 pm »
No, it's very small. There's basically just enough room for me and some tools. I couldn't fit a hive body next to me even standing on its edge.