Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee in N.C.  (Read 2163 times)

Offline cblewis

• New Bee
Newbee in N.C.
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:32:03 pm »
Hey everyone!

My name is Chuck and I'm a new beekeeper here in the foothills of western North Carolina.  A good friend of mine talked me into trying it our and so far we are loving it!  I've met some wonderful people who are into beekeeping and everyone has been very helpful so far.

My wife and I aren't some left wing nutcases who are trying to move off the grid but we are into doing some "old fashioned" type stuff and beekeeping fits right into our interests.  Each fall we make molasses and actually just planted this year's crop of sugar cane last weekend.  We also do applebutter outside in a large copper kettle every year, have recently bought a cider mill, make homemade soap, garden, and make lots of jelly and jam in the spring and summer.  Our next "project" is a few chickens for eggs and meat.  I am also developing an interest in blacksmithing.

I'm looking forward to participating in the forums and message boards as a way of learning more and more about the girls and how to care for them. 

Thanks!

Offline pondman

• House Bee
Re: Newbee in N.C.
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2010, 07:47:48 pm »
Chuck

Welcome to the forum. This a great place to get lots of info an all the help you may need in your new hobby. I have ask for help many of times an the things that I have learned. Very helpful people here. Again welcome to the forum an enjoy.

James

Offline ruth

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 10:24:15 pm »
Welcome!  I am a newbee too.  Friends commented recently "Don't you people do anything normal?!"
"They alone hold children in common: own the roofs of their city as one: and pass their life under the might of the law. They alone know a country, and a settled home, and in summer, remembering the winter to come, undergo labour, storing their gains for all."
Virgil, Georgics IV, 154-157

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 11:15:55 am »
Chuck, welcome to our forum, that's great you found us, you are up to some cool stuff.  Have that wonderful and greatest of days, with health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Thymaridas

• New Bee
  • Remember its supposed to be fun
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 11:41:31 pm »
Chuck,

The NC Beekeepers Association is meeting in China Grove which is about an hour or so from you. You ought to think about going. It is July 8 - 10.

Adam

Offline cblewis

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 11:46:53 pm »
Yeah!  I've been loooking at that an am considering going down.  Also the Eastern Apicultural Society is having their annual conference at Appalachian State University August 2-6.  That is only 25 minutes away from home.  If anyone else is close it might be a cool thing to check out.  They have a host of classes and seminars planned.  Their site is easternapiculture dot org.  (Sorry, I've not been on long enough to allow posting of url's.)

Thanks
Chuck

Offline beewitch

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:38:18 pm »
Hi Chuck - I'm a newbee, too, in north GA.  Considering your interests, have you checked into the John Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC?   They offer wonderful classes (beekeeping, too).  I'm headed up for a weaving class next weekend and my son a beginning blacksmith class.
Good luck with your bees.  It's the most rewarding and challenging hobby I've ever had.
Karen

Offline cblewis

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:27:53 pm »
Yes I actually have looked at some of their blacksmithing classses but didn't remember a beekeepers class.  Dang!  Decisions, decisions, decisions! :?

Let me know how the classes go and what the school is like.  That may be a great fall vacation this year or spring next year.

Offline Superdog

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 06:36:14 pm »
Glad to have you here...  you will learn allot

Offline beewitch

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 10:38:03 am »
Can tell you already - the Folk School is the best "adult summer camp" (vacation) I've ever had.  This will be my 3rd class there and I'm set up for a week in Sept, too.  Besides the beekeeping classes, they keep 3 hives in their massive gardens.  There are not enough superlatives about the Folk School.