Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dead hive what to do with frames of honey and pollen?  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
Dead hive what to do with frames of honey and pollen?
« on: January 12, 2014, 01:19:53 pm »
Checked on my 2 hives this morning and neither made it through the 5 degree temps of Monday night.

One was a double 5 frame nuc the other was a double 8 frame hive. All the bees are dead. Both hive have plenty of stores. Now I need to know what to do with the frames of capped and uncapped stores, honey and pollen that are in the hives.

Do I leave them in the hives and just put more bees in when they becomes available? I think wax moth and shb would get to them if I do.  Or do I pull and freeze them until I get new bees and then give it to them.

Advise please.

Thanks.

"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
Re: Dead hive what to do with frames of honey and pollen?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 01:32:38 pm »
Freeze 'em!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 02:32:41 pm »
Why did they die?

If they were sick the next bees will also get sick

Offline Georgia Boy

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 03:14:21 pm »
Not sick just not enough bees in each hive going into winter. Both were new hives last year that never really built up.
"Give it All You've Got"
"Never give up. Never surrender."

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 09:50:15 pm »
I had some trap outs that I hived.
I merged them in October and have a 2deep box 6 frame hive.
I placed a candy board on them in early December and they are doing good now.
It got down to 4 degrees F here and a stiff wind blowing.
We still have about 4-6 weeks of winter left here in Central Arkansas.
I merged the hives to have a larger cluster going into winter, to me the more bees the warmer they can keep it.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:01:25 pm »
Not sick just not enough bees in each hive going into winter. Both were new hives last year that never really built up.

david, post some pictures of the brood if there was any and the piles of dead bees if you can.  i'm with edward, i'd be worried about what was wrong.  i had a hive come through that was only covering 3 frames when it clustered. 

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2014, 08:45:58 am »

david, post some pictures of the brood if there was any and the piles of dead bees if you can.  i'm with edward, i'd be worried about what was wrong.  i had a hive come through that was only covering 3 frames when it clustered.  

Excellent advise from 10framer and edward;  X:X X:X  We should use our dead outs as a learning experience.  I always try to find the queen in dead outs as it is the usual cause.  Lack of ventilation is another common one and remedies can be tweaked.  Looking and performing simple tests on any remaining larva.   Lack of stores or 'failure to build up' can also be 'remembered' for the following season, and 'new' remedies implemented.

While not fun, dead outs provide us with much information and experience.

Yeah, freeze those frames if the room is available, other wise 'protect' them in a cool spot by blocking 'all' entries.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

anything