Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: evergreen, colorado here  (Read 2292 times)

Offline plantit

• Brood
evergreen, colorado here
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:44:16 pm »
Hello, my name is Patricia and I am a beekeeper. My goal is to expand to 15 hives on my 1 acre lot (adj. to 700 ac. open space and very near NF). I prefer not to use chemicals in my hive. I perform treatment versus preventative 'meds'. I am @ ~7250 elevation and winter my hives over w/ two deep brood supers. The honey I get is dark and tasty and consumed in my home. My hives have been visited by ‘the bear’ but I prefer not to sport an electric fence. I keep my hives in my wildflower beds so that I can enjoy them all the time. One down fall is the occasional chase to the house in the summer by a guard bee. I like not to suit up and take bites in the spring to build up my immunity for the season. I perform minimum inspections and believe that the bees have it together more than I do. I read everything on bees I can get my hands on and am now reading ‘The Buzz About Bees, Biology of a Superorganism’, by Jurgenv Tautz; translated into english from german. the end.

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
Re: evergreen, colorado here
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 03:04:22 pm »
WELLCOME looks like you got it all figured-out . Lots of natural beeks over here and all have different methods !!!!!  :lol:

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 08:21:26 pm »
Patricia, welcome to our forum, lovely introduction by the way.  Sounds like you have a very nice set up there.  I am grateful for you that the bear did not do too much damage.  In my neck of the woods, we have to have great bear protection or we would have no bees.  My bear fence is like a fortress.  Stick around, this can be a place where you can tell us your tales, stories and experiences, we love to listen, you can also make some new friends.  Have a wonderful, great day, attract and keep great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 09:02:22 pm »
Hello and Welcome Patricia
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 11:24:41 pm »
Hello Patricia

You sound like you have it all together and I like your understanding of bee behavior.

How long have you kept bees???  How many hives do you currently have???

You must be a very strong women if you can take on 15 hives at some point. Also those deep supers get very heavy. Do you have help in lifting them???

I have 2 hives (well one at the moment, just lost one) on my friends property up the block from me. I have all my bees in medium supers as that is all I can possibly lift. I started out with deeps, but quickly realized I could not manage them. I am not very strong physically and have to be very careful with the weight.

I have been beekeeping since April 2006 with only 2 hives. I would like to get more this year and hope to catch some swarms.

Stay in touch and keep us informed how it goes with the bees.

Sincerely
Annette

Offline plantit

• Brood
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 12:59:00 pm »
thanks for the encouragement, but i do not think i have ot all figured-out. far from figured-out. re: some of the replies to my intro.

i love the term natural beekeeping and that is what i want to strive for. i just tossed the last of the med's i bought for last fall and well that's that. i do hope i have success in this approach of beekeeping. i'm not in it for th HONEY just the 'sport' of it.

i am using 2 deep brood supers and i come from farm stock. not a small lady but not large either. friends and family are always shocked @ my strength levels so i do hope i have no lifting issues. when i do reverse the deeps they will be lite @ that time of year (spring) and so i should be fine. my spouse is my associate beekeeper and helps also.

i wish all the bees out there success w/ the next season. i'm off to chat about splitting. patricia

anything