Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Maine  (Read 1951 times)

Offline summerbeam

• Brood
Hello from Maine
« on: February 28, 2009, 03:48:17 pm »
Hi all-  My name is Bruce and live in Garland, Me. with my wife Chris.  We have been trying to keep bees for nearly 20 years and are still trying to get it right.  We did have our best honey crop ever last year in a very lousy summer but once again it seems like they didn't survive the winter.  We've gotten interested in trying 4.9 bees this year (sometimes I wonder why we persist!) and hope maybe you all can help us keep on keeping on.

Offline fermentedhiker

• Field Bee
Re: Hello from Maine
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 04:01:47 pm »
Welcome aboard.  Always glad to see another Mainer in the crowd.  I grew up not too far from you in Atkinson.  Have you been able to determine what caused the failures yet?  My one hive is surviving so far but I'm already having concerns that they'll make it through until spring.  If they make it I'm going to be attempting to regress them as well as two packages to natural/small cell this season.  You'll find lots of information and helpful folks on here.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
--Douglas Adams

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 10:56:47 pm »
Bruce, welcome to our forum, this is the best place ever.  A place where you can lean on us to help you to make it through the winter with your bees.  Twenty years....that is a long period of persistence, you have surely fallen beneath their spell, as so many of us other beekeepers have.  Stick around, this will be a place where you can tell your many tales, stories and experiences, we all love to listen, and we learn too.  You will also make some new and wonderful friends.  Have the best of a great day, great health, love life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline 1reb

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 11:05:57 pm »
Hello and Welcome Bruce and Chris
There is alot of great information on the forum !!
The members here are willing help and answer your questions, all you need to do is to ask
Johnny   

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:19:59 am »
Welcome to the site Bruce and Chris. Isn't nice to have a great site helpful people to keep you warm while your being dumped on by a foot of snow...  :-D

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

anything