Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: As requested by buzzbee......  (Read 8619 times)

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
As requested by buzzbee......
« on: March 09, 2011, 09:01:18 pm »
I mentioned in another thread about a visit I made to the governor's mansion in Harrisburg on Monday to go over the final details of installing an apiary. Not an observation hive, but working hives.

I did not see Governor Corbett, as he was finalizing the state budget that was just unveiled.

The best location, will be in the private residence garden. There are a number of other gardens including an English rose garden, but with the number of socials and functions, the traffic in close quarters to the beehives, may not be good.

The hives will be maintained by the Pennsylvania Backyard Beekeepers Association. It is part of our "open apiaries" program which is also placing 10 observation hives this spring in nature centers and environmental centers all across the state. A real accomplishment for an association not even a year in existence.

These are the "brick and mortar" programs that expand public knowledge and build bridges. I would encourage bee associations in other states to install bee hives also.

At a later time, we will have an official "unveiling" and we invited the Governor and first lady to be honorary members of our association.

We will be getting English style beehives. And are considering a special label for any honey produced.

Hopefully we can garner support in the future and benefit from such endeavors. Planting seeds now, may grow into great things later.

signed,
lazyboy   :-D
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: As requested by buzzbee......
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 09:18:11 pm »
This sounds like a great project. Keep us posted along the way!
I think it would be a great idea for other associations to pursue something like this in other states.
Could you imagine an apiary at every governors mansion in the lower 48?

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 10:51:11 pm »
Great work , hope all goes well and allot of non beekeepers get interested in beekeeping  :-D

Lots of luck ..

mvh edward  :-P

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 10:55:57 pm »
Bravo Mike...you've given me some ideas for our next club meeting!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 12:20:02 am »
Mike i think its great that you are going above and beyond for everyone not only the beekeepers but the people in general.  Lots of respect to you for everything you do for me and everyone else in beekeeping  thanks for everything that you do and have done  :cheer:   Chris

Offline Beaver Dam

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2011, 12:49:16 am »
I proably could not pass the "EPA" , methane gas releasement by honey bees  act. Proper paint used on outside of hive body act. Contents of the sticky gooey green stuff that fills cracks and  bonds so well act. Nope not me. Thanks for asking though.

Offline Countryboy

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2011, 01:02:13 am »
How is this apiary funded?  Is it self supporting, or does it use funds from other folk's pocketbooks in any manner, public or private?  As this venture is on public property, are all profits going to the public, or will money end up in private pockets?

Often, things that folks claim 'expand public knowledge and build bridges' are nothing more than special interest groups trying to spend someone else's money to advance their agenda. (and often paying themselves from other people's money too)

How do you plan to deal with locations that are neglected, or you can't get volunteers to manage the hives in a timely fashion?  How do you plan to deal with swarms?  How do you plan to deal with neglected hives?  How do you plan to deal with the backlash of an angry public if they get stung?  How do you plan to deal with citizens who are allergic to beestings suing the State because of the added danger if they visit this public property?  Who will pay for the added costs of medical personnel to have medical care providers close at hand in case anyone gets stung?

Who is liable if someone gets stung, is allergic, and dies?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Offline Grandpa Jim

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 03:46:51 am »
Wow!!!!!! I never thought of all that stuff!!.....My bees are dead in the morning....I can't handle all that stress....Thanks for the heads up :shock:
I'm going back to watching paint dry...much less stress. ;)

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 03:54:16 am »
I'm off to Hell :evil:

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 07:27:57 am »
I proably could not pass the "EPA" , methane gas releasement by honey bees  act. Proper paint used on outside of hive body act. Contents of the sticky gooey green stuff that fills cracks and  bonds so well act. Nope not me. Thanks for asking though.

About the only requirement we had to consider, is some "green" policy which does not allow pressure treated wood to be used, like on a hive stand. We plan on keeping the wood natural and using a "Danish oil" type coating. No others concerns at this point.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 07:29:49 am »
How is this apiary funded?  Is it self supporting, or does it use funds from other folk's pocketbooks in any manner, public or private?  As this venture is on public property, are all profits going to the public, or will money end up in private pockets?

Often, things that folks claim 'expand public knowledge and build bridges' are nothing more than special interest groups trying to spend someone else's money to advance their agenda. (and often paying themselves from other people's money too)

How do you plan to deal with locations that are neglected, or you can't get volunteers to manage the hives in a timely fashion?  How do you plan to deal with swarms?  How do you plan to deal with neglected hives?  How do you plan to deal with the backlash of an angry public if they get stung?  How do you plan to deal with citizens who are allergic to beestings suing the State because of the added danger if they visit this public property?  Who will pay for the added costs of medical personnel to have medical care providers close at hand in case anyone gets stung?

Who is liable if someone gets stung, is allergic, and dies?

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

:lau:

You must really hate life.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline indypartridge

• Queen Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:35:56 am »
Kudos, Mike. Can't wait to see some pictures.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:36:47 am »
I think most on this thread appreciate what is being done here.
It's no wonder people are so less generous committing time and efforts to causes .
We have a forum with 3300 members,most with a positive outlook on things.It's too bad the few with such a negative outlook at everything have to bring their dark clouds to rain on the parade.
To them, I say to all members,put up your umbrellas,don the slickers and stay for the parade.  :)

The sun may be out before you know it!!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 08:00:48 am »
Wow!   How the tide turns when it is our parade and not someone else's :roll:   I'm thinking a coupe of Warre hives would look nice at the governor's mansion.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 08:33:49 am »
Wow!   How the tide turns when it is our parade and not someone else's :roll:   I'm thinking a coupe of Warre hives would look nice at the governor's mansion.

We had actually thought about a couple TBH's. But decided with the standard hives.

www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 08:54:55 am »
Yet another inspiring effort from Bjornbee.  Very cool 8-)

What was that old saying?........

"People go to heaven for the weather, people go to hell for the company" :-D

thomas
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 09:39:20 am »
That's a neat idea, sounds like a lot of work!

What is there for the bees in the area?  I always see the perfectly manicured lawns, perfect gardens and wonder if there is any living insect life remaining there.
Rick

Offline backyard warrior

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 01:08:33 pm »
Why is it everywhere i go to relax i run into a person who loves life and people as much as countryboy

Offline lenape13

• Field Bee
  • We survive together, or not at all!
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 02:39:47 pm »
It should do a good job in promoting beekeeping in PA, good job!  Now, if they can just outproduce those White House bees, that would be even better.  Of course, that could never happen 'cause the government will simply tax the PA bees to no end and inflate their own production figures.   :roll:

Offline phil c

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 02:55:39 pm »
Very cool Bjornbee! I would like to get some more info on this from you if I could. A group of us are getting ready to petition our local city council to recind and ordinance banning beehives in the city limits and can use all the ammo we can get.   
AMC cars, Jeeps, Mineapolis Moline Tractors, Bees, More stuff than I have time to play with

anything