Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the good Lord watches over beekeepers.  (Read 2772 times)

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
the good Lord watches over beekeepers.
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:04:12 pm »
I was calling around to the local extension offices in my area today to let them know that I was looking for bees. I would gladly remove any swarms that were not difficult to get to. then i talked to everyone at work to let them know also.
Well about 1pm today a guy from the bus service in our city came up to my work area at the maintenance facility and said. well I have talked to several friends to let him know if they saw any bees to let me know. no luck . BUT about 15 mins. ago we just got a huge swarm of bees come into the shop and made a home behind a wood wall. would you like to have them.
well long story short I watched them move in for 30 mins. looked at what it going to take and I am going into work early tommorrow to get them out.

thanks to everyone who has posted great info about removing bees I will have a great new hive by Tuesday night.

I will post photos and maybe a video of it if I can.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: the good Lord watches over beekeepers.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:59:30 pm »
2 thoughts come to mind.   
First, sweet find.
Second, Gray has a bus service?

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 12:21:17 am »
No Macon. I work at the police/city maintenance facility. the MTA uses part of our place until they can build a new one. Old one got demode for green space.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:22:03 am »
wish I had a beevac to make it quicker :'(

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:05:06 am »
Cut the bottom out of a gallon jug and scoop them

Good Luck

Tommyt
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 12:18:58 pm »
Just reach in there with your hand and scoop them, gently.   Flat cardboard and bee brush works good also.

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 10:50:04 pm »
will he goes the update  :'(

got to work at 6am with all my equipment. started to remove the wall so I could see in where they were.
dang. NO JOY. they were gone.  :? I guess they must have left latter that evening. guess the queen did not like the accommodations. well I was felling down the rest of the morning. then during lunch a pest control company called me and said that they had gotten my number from the extension officer in the next county were they were and that they had a call from a church 50 miles from then and only 20 miles from me that had a bee problem. so I called the church elder and he said they had purchased a church that had a established hive for more than 2 years and they needed it moved. I asked him some info and he said the exterior was stone. oh no i thought. then he said that it was only one level and that the wall that they were in was in a outer room with its own entrance and ac. that they had isolated the room and that I could cut the sheet rock out and that they had a member that would replace the wall. he wants me and my friend to come out sat morning to remove them. we told them that we would do it for the bees. the floor is cement. he then stated that he could not do that and wants to pay us to do the work and for our travel. we said no and he demanded to pay us. someone is definitely looking out for me and my friend.( i got back into bees for my friend because he lost his job 2 years ago and cannot find new work( age discrimination)) we are trying to start a little something to help support him and my hobby. We will take photos  of the job and i will post them.

John

Offline D Semple

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 01:20:32 pm »
Just a tip - Churches, Doctors, Lawyers, and dot heads are the worst payers, always charge them double.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 05:06:41 pm »
Take the money!  What kinda doofus are you, turning down money for that kind of work!! :shock: :-D

Not for the bees, but for the delicate demolition work that takes time and a lot of energy.  You can't just bash in there, you need to go carefully and slow so they can fix it too.  If it bothers you, then use the money to buy more frames for your next cutout.

I don't do cutouts just for bees anymore.  Once was enough, gotta see the money for that kind of time and labor.

I do commend you for the charitable attitude, though.... :)

Rick
Rick

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 10:31:51 pm »
We told him that we would let our quality of work decide what the church wants to pay. he also stayed that we could use it for future equipment for other jobs. thats what we plan on doing.

john

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2011, 12:25:04 am »
well lets just say. It never fails the camera stopped working when i dropped it at the church. But here goes the best description I can give. we got there at 10 am. the bees were all over the window. we go into the room and find the inside of the window walled off. I tap the wall to locate the hive.and start prying the panelling off. My god the hive is floor to ceiling ( 8foot) and 36 inches across. we were unsure and brought everything that we had thank goodness. started cutting out and filled 32 frames of brood and eggs and 10 frames of capped honey. we filled the box in a box four times and made made 4 double hives with screen on the bottom board and screen across the top for transport. when we got home we placed two hives at my friends house and just put a top over the screen and opened the bottom board entrance. did the same at my house. just let them be for 2 days. they  would chase anything away that came withen 50 feet. they were all over the out side of the hives cleaning up honey. so today got home and put on a new tyvek suit. ( the other one was worn out from the removal)  I removed the screen from the top and adjusted the new foundations in the top box and added and new top cover with bottle feeder and they seem to be settling in not as aggressive we could never find the queen but We plan on just letting them be for the next 2 weeks and see if they well start developing new queens. we found several queen cells and tried to get at least frame with 2 queen cells in each. hope this works. am estactic about the job.

John
OH they payed us cash  and they were great gave us waterand invited us to services .