Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Package Fun  (Read 5874 times)

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
Re: New Package Fun
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 05:34:12 pm »
Hey Mark - I don't know about your part of VA but we have pollen everywhere! Cars are covered with it. Maybe they were getting pollen and nectar from outside the hive.

I can see now that I am going to have to develop some patience.....or I will be worried and looking all the time! 3 more days.....

Offline MarkR

• House Bee
    • My Photo Album
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2007, 05:36:44 pm »
So I guess I'm just overly worried, then.  That's good. 

Mark

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2007, 07:44:59 pm »
When Installing packaged bees:  Place empty super on top of hive body with frames.  Place feeder full of syrup to one side of super atop frames.  Remove queen cage and place between a couple of the frames, screen side down.  Invert package of bees alongside of feeder.  Put on top and leave them alone for 2 days.  On 3rd day remove empty cage and refill feeder.  If you wish you can replace some of the frames in the super or even add more feeders.
The bees exit the cage in their own time will little or no stress.  The beekeeper doesn't get stung because he's not agitating the bees.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2007, 08:44:35 pm »
The beekeeper doesn't get stung because he's not agitating the bees.

I beg to differ.. :) 
It was educational in a way. I always wondered if bees landed on you like flies and other bugs and then stung you. I found out within 5 seconds of emptying the package that they fly at you at full speed and the first item to come into contact with the skin is the sharp end..

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2007, 01:14:40 am »
I found out within 5 seconds of emptying the package that they fly at you at full speed and the first item to come into contact with the skin is the sharp end..

But Brian said, "Invert package of bees alongside of feeder"...... Not empty the bees out of the cage.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2007, 06:49:25 am »
And if the feeder can is empty when you remove it,cover the hole and mist the bees with sugar water until they get their fill and calm down.hungry bees agitate more quickly.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 10:09:42 am »
Personally I've tried many ways and I'd rather shake them all into the hive.  The shaking sets of Nasanoving which helps get them together, it also gets them all out of the package and doesn't leave excess space they can build wild comb in.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything