Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dark, Thick, "Tangy" Honey?  (Read 2493 times)

Offline Javin

• House Bee
Dark, Thick, "Tangy" Honey?
« on: July 10, 2012, 12:03:09 am »
I've just gotten my first real "harvest" (five frames out of 20, they've been busy) and after extracting it by crushing and straining, I've ended up with a lot of very dark, almost molasses-like honey.  It also has a very distinct "tangy" flavor.  It's definitely not fermentation, as having experimented with my own wine, I'm pretty familiar with the taste of fermentation. 

But there's definitely a "tangy" flavor.  Perhaps it's a super strong flavor of the surrounding flowers (two flower nurseries within a mile) that all mingle together, but I'm wondering if anyone else has noticed such a flavor with their super dark and thick honeys?

Perhaps I could just call it "gourmet" and sell it for twice the price?   :-D

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Dark, Thick, "Tangy" Honey?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 08:27:54 am »
I usually get dark honey in the fall. Dark honey has a much bolder / stronger flavor. Some customers want the dark honey but most want the lite.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 08:44:27 am »
Poplar honey is kinda dark, but I would not call it tangy.   

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 11:29:23 am »
My first year I got dark tangy honey. I was from the popcorn tree. Also known as Chinese Tallow tree. The seeds make it look like it is covered with popcorn. I don't know if you have them up there. Down here it is illegal to plant them, they spread very quickly and take over an area.
In a good year they make a lot of nectar. I have not seen any honey from it for the last 2 years.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything