Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: beehive temp  (Read 44824 times)

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
Re: beehive temp
« Reply #100 on: January 30, 2011, 03:23:18 pm »
Finski, aren’t you glad you’re not trying to teach science over here in the USA! 

Don’t worry, most of us completely agree with everything you have said.  You are very wise, your distracters need to go back to school.  Can we send them to Finland to learn?

I second the motion by Thomas to put this thread out of it's misery......

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #101 on: January 30, 2011, 03:43:59 pm »

Finski, aren’t you glad you’re not trying to teach science over here in the USA!  

JEP! Big country, big tolerances

Free advice: lift brake bedal and turn steering wheel :)

Snowy Car Crashes

Don't do like us

Rally crash compilation special snow rally
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:02:22 pm by Finski »
Language barrier NOT included

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #102 on: January 30, 2011, 04:31:48 pm »
I lived in Sweden for four years, and the Swedes taught me all about the other Scandinavians.  :-D  Here's what they taught me about Finland:

1. All Finns are drunk, all the time.

2. All Finnish women have tattoos.

3. All Finnish men carry knives.

When I was in grad school in Birmingham Alabama, we had a post-doc from Turku, Finland.  I was assigned to take his wife to the bank to help her open an account.  The teller was a southern black woman.  Both the woman from Finland and the Birmingham native spoke perfect English but they could not understand each other at all.  I had to translate from English to English.  Come to think of it, I didn't see a tattoo on this woman.  I guess it was covered up.  :-D
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #103 on: January 30, 2011, 04:35:38 pm »

That is all  true

One teacher from Finland was in USA, and she told that every shool boy had gun in every pocket at shool.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 04:52:36 pm by Finski »

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #104 on: January 30, 2011, 05:15:58 pm »
DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT I DO NOT OVER WINTER MY BEES WITH ELECTRICT HEATING.

It fooled me at first.  It became apparent later on after much trash talking...

I have been watching the videos on the Bushymountain site lectured by Larry Connor.  Don't you know he puts up a photo of 5 frame nuc boxes (plastic) with a lower entrance hole on one end and a bigger screened vent hole on the other end towards the top.  That is most definitely cross ventilated.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #105 on: January 30, 2011, 05:31:20 pm »
DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND THAT I DO NOT OVER WINTER MY BEES WITH ELECTRICT HEATING.

It fooled me at first.  It became apparent later on after much trash talking...

I have been watching the videos on the Bushymountain site lectured by Larry Connor.  Don't you know he puts up a photo of 5 frame nuc boxes (plastic) with a lower entrance hole on one end and a bigger screened vent hole on the other end towards the top.  That is most definitely cross ventilated.

Don't forget Brushy Mountain is in the Carolinas.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #106 on: January 30, 2011, 05:50:48 pm »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:31:04 pm by Finski »

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #107 on: January 30, 2011, 07:46:37 pm »
Finski, this is an example of what Americans call "Trash Talking."

Like you, you have used all your energy to try piss on me. You are not interested how things really are.  You will never succeed.

Now I know you Di'int!  I never said a single thing about what you've posted concerning bees and winter.  In fact I haven't said anything about anything you've posted, except for some reason you keep giving me the weather report for my area.  If you're going to get mad, you should look up the word Curmudgeon.
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #108 on: January 30, 2011, 10:30:18 pm »
 If you're going to get mad, you should look up the word Curmudgeon.

Not my style

We have our own Trash Talking Curmudgeon style here.

Pulttibois nunnukamiehet
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 10:45:12 pm by Finski »

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #109 on: January 31, 2011, 12:47:20 am »
.That is all  true
One teacher from Finland was in USA, and she told that every shool boy had gun in every pocket at shool.

Oh, I forgot one more thing the Swedes taught me:

4.  When the Russians invade, the Finns fight like hell. 

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #110 on: January 31, 2011, 03:19:04 am »
Yes we fought into the Hell. We were under Swedish covernement during The Thirty Years' War (1618–1648). Sweden put the Finnish fight in front of troops and only 10% come back from the war.

It is said that what we von we imported potato from the war but I think that it was not true. Its cultivation rised 200 years later when covernement did not allowed burn forests for food cultivation.
Potato cultivation was teached by "The Economic Society".
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:32:22 am by Finski »

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #111 on: January 31, 2011, 03:40:10 am »
WOW!

Bees generate heat.  If you insulate the hive you will retain some of that heat.  What is so hare to understand about this.  If you have 10-15000 bees in a ball keeping the center core 70 to 95 degrees at all times you dont think that give off any heat?  Why would poly hived colonies consume half the stores if it did not retain heat?  Bees do heat the hive, that is plain common sense.

How many of you have been in a barn of mild cows in the middle of winter?  It can be twenty below zero outside and fourty degrees inside.  Why, because the cows kept the barn warm.  Have you ever been in a room packed with people?  It gets hot because the people heat the place.

Im sorry folks but Finski knows what he is talking about.  Most of what he says makes perfect sense to me.  If honeybees dont warm the hive at all its cause they are dead.

The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #112 on: January 31, 2011, 04:25:56 am »
In Finland we are planning now "low energy houses". Modern house use so much electrict in many way that that the waste heat from that is enough to keep the house warm.  You need not to consume extra  energy for heating.

That need a good insulation.
Then it needs to take energy back from ventilated air.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #113 on: January 31, 2011, 09:44:26 am »
I believe Larry connor is from Mass and the photo was from some place in Ohio with snow on the ground.  He mentioned it would not be so good for extreme norther climates or high wind areas.  I just find it amazing that even the commercial equipment that is produced on a large scale is based on conflicting concepts.  So how can someone from the extreme part of the globe dictate to everyone else across the globe how to winter bees?  Then call someone from any other part of the globe stupid if they don't agree.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #114 on: January 31, 2011, 11:07:08 am »
So how can someone from the extreme part of the globe dictate to everyone else across the globe how to winter bees?  .

It just happens. The reason is World Wide Internet.

Offline Finski

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #115 on: January 31, 2011, 03:22:12 pm »
Tennessee  has now +15C day temp. Central Canada seems to be cold place now.

Winnipeg has even -28C

http://www.findlocalweather.com/forecast/winnipeg_mb_ca.html

Average Weather in Edmonton for February

Coldest daily temperature -17   Celsius 
  Warmest daily temperature -6    Celsius 
  Coldest February temperature -50    Celsius 
  Warmest February temperature 18    Celsius 

Offline CapnChkn

• Field Bee
« Reply #116 on: February 01, 2011, 12:09:06 am »
Ok, Bee-nuts, If you read my posts, you will see I never said a word about what Finski is complaining about.  I mentioned in 2 different threads that Bees don't heat the inside of the cavity, and he has been grousing on and on about what the weather is here.  I never said anything about what he has written in any case except, EXCEPT, the fact he has posted continuously about the weather where I am located.

I submit, bees do not intentionally heat the inside of the cavity where they live, and any heating there is actually incidental.  It does give them an edge, but the temperature outside the cluster core and inside the hive can vary as much as 100° F (56° C).  As Finski has written in one of his posts about something I wrote months ago:

last winter I had a small 3-frame nuc in firewood shelter. Temp was outside -20C  - -30C. When I looked into the nuc. The cluster occupied the half of the space and the rest of space was full of snow which had born from respiration.
Which is located here:
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,30594.msg244824.html#msg244824

See?  If what Finski is saying is that the bees Heat the inside of the hive body, then where did the snow come from and why was all this snow there?

On page 5 of this thread, he has also SHOUTED that he doesn't use artificial heat, and in that same post he made the above statement from, he also wrote this to me:

Many say that cold does not kill bee but  But when I heat the hive with 3W terratium heater
it keeps small colinies alive which otherwice will die.
I am not listening to this dude anymore, I don't need the abuse.  He started this argument without provocation, and continues to target me for no reason.  I stated what the scientists have said.  My father was a Geologist, my brother has a masters in organic chemistry, and my Sister has some degree with a long name concerning biological something I can't remember.  He's not using scientific method, he's using chop logic, and shouting "I'm right, you're wrong and you had better listen to me!"

Mythologically, Trolls are Scandinavian in origin.  It's already been posted this thread is getting long and the battle between "Flat Earth," and "Round Earth" is moot to the bees.  I post this at peril of feeding the troll, and third the motion this thread be closed.

Here is one good read on the Winter cluster:
http://westmtnapiary.com/winter_cluster.html
"Thinking is like sin, them that doesn't is scairt of it, and them that does gets to liking it so much they can't quit!"  -Josh Billings.

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
« Reply #117 on: February 01, 2011, 12:51:50 am »
CapnChkn

We all come from different parts of the states with different weather and therefore we all have different experiences with our colonies and likely different opinions on what one thing is or is not.  I also sometimes think people can be very ignorant when it comes to language barriers.  Finski obviously does not write English fluently and therefore when reading his post one has to interpret what his meaning is or what his understanding was when he comments.  Maybe he has singled you out.  I dont know.  What bothers me is the name calling, and the raciest comments that have flared up from an argument so stupid its childish no matter who started it.  I have Finish ancestry.  I was baby sat by my great grand mother and great, great Uncle who were both pure fin.  So I am a bit offended by the comments made of all fins being drunks and what not.  I have not been to Finland but my brother was and went out drinking with my cousin Peter who I meet here when he came to visit.  My brother said they dont drink and drive like we do but go to the local police station and wait till they are well enough to drive.  He also said they build things to last a life time unlike how we built everything thinking of today and not tomorrow.  They live on much more modest incomes.  I have respect for culture.  I have respect for opinion.  I have no respect for bigotry, racist comments, and ignorance.  I mean no personal offense to you or anyone here, I just wish everyone could have a little more respect for other people when their tempers flare.

I know I should have just stayed out of this whole argument but my foot was already in the door.  I have to say Im surprised this thread has been allowed to go on as long as it has.  I think with respect to everyone it should be wiped off the forum.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #118 on: February 01, 2011, 01:25:55 am »
You know, I was making fun of stereotypes.  You may not understand that but Finski does.   Scandinavians joke with each other that way all the time. It's not racism because they don't hate each other.  They are cultural brothers.   I would say Finski expresses himself better than many native speakers because he actually has something to say. 

You are right, bees are different in different climates.  I enjoy hearing about the range of behaviors and adaptability of my favorite little bugs.  :-D

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #119 on: February 01, 2011, 02:50:59 am »
> What surprises me though is that the relative humidity shoots up to above 90% at night but drops to 70% during the day. The beehive has some ventilation. Two questions:  1) what is with the humidity? and 2) any references to beehive temperature data?< ITS colder at night so the bees have to generate more heat it is the heat from the cluster that is fluxing the humidity-
If there wasn't substantial heat produced then the humidity wouldn't be
great enough and the dew point wouldn't be reached with condensation
fromation,
 ;)  :) RDY-B

anything