Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queen failures and poor performance studies  (Read 2677 times)

Offline wayne

• House Bee
Queen failures and poor performance studies
« on: August 27, 2006, 05:55:56 pm »
It seems the British have to study everything around them and bees are no exception. This article is a study of poor Queen mating and laying and possible causes.

http://www.bbka.org.uk/news/news/queenspoor-mating-and-lay.shtml

The possible effects of microwave towers caught my eye as they are all over the US.

wayne
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2006, 03:18:50 am »
i've seen this disscused over before. one beekeeper said, that NONE of his queens returned from mating flights, but now that they removed-moved away the powerlines he says that the queens are mating normaly

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2006, 03:27:08 am »
I think that Roger is too mad with his opinions. He see all problems from view of mating.  Question is not about "British".   I have had splended queen year. All queens have returned to hives and started laying.

"If you have a hammer all problems seems to resemble nails".

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2006, 09:07:16 am »
The views represent what I've been noticing from the multitude of entries within this forum.  I have tried more than once to raise a response to the frequent and unexplained loss of queens and too frequent supercedure rates for purchaased queens whether in packages or solo.  It is why I believe we must shy away from artificial chemical treatments and use only natural occuring ones like Oxalic acid.
I believe the future of beekeeping lies in naturopathic treatments, selective breeding (by artificial insemination if necessary) and feral survivor stock.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 11:39:57 pm »
I hear of a lot of people having supercedure problems.  I think it's the chemicals.  I'm raising my own and not seeing that.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin