Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Constant Daily Robbing  (Read 5942 times)

Offline shan777

• New Bee
Constant Daily Robbing
« on: January 02, 2014, 01:16:53 am »
Hi guys,

Has anyone had situations where their hives get robbed on a daily basis?
I don't have frames or comb laying around, very clean, have reduced the entrance, and also use a wet bed sheet draped over when they're being robbed to put a stop to it. It all works fine until the next day when they come back.
My hives are reasonably young, but strong.
Does anyone have any ideas?

Moots

Re: Constant Daily Robbing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 01:36:17 am »
Hmm...I'm a first year Beek and thankfully, haven't had any issues with robbing, so I really don't have any real world experience to offer....Sorry!

However, I have read some and followed some of the threads on the issue.  What about using robbing screens, have your tried that?  Another option may be to relocate your hive to throw off the robbers. 

Offline Smorning

• Brood
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 01:50:43 pm »
I am advised that to stop robbing in a apiary with a number of hives you should open them all up. The robbers go back to their own hives as they are vulnerable to robbing themselves and according to the fat bee man robbing will stop within minutes. Never tried it myself but it makes sense to me, hope it works

Moots

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:49:19 pm »
I am advised that to stop robbing in a apiary with a number of hives you should open them all up. The robbers go back to their own hives as they are vulnerable to robbing themselves and according to the fat bee man robbing will stop within minutes. Never tried it myself but it makes sense to me, hope it works

One possible problem with that approach could be if the robbers aren't from within your apiary, they could be from another nearby apiary or possibly a feral colony.  :(

Offline shan777

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 07:07:17 pm »

One possible problem with that approach could be if the robbers aren't from within your apiary, they could be from another nearby apiary or possibly a feral colony.  :(
Yeah I only have 2 hives and pretty sure its a feral hive.

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 07:43:31 pm »
A different approach that I haven't tried but have Heard about from an old beekeep with 70years experience

Close up the hive entrance except for one or two garden hoses that go Deep into the hive.

The robber bees find there way into the hive through the hose, when inside the hive they don't find their way out.

The robber bees get disorientated and stuck inside the hive and will bee assimilated and strengthen the hive

The hose must stay in Place for some time, so the robber bees beecome part of the hive, the bees that live there learn to use the hose in and out.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline rawfind

• House Bee
    • My Website
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 12:12:26 am »
Hi guys,

Has anyone had situations where their hives get robbed on a daily basis?
I don't have frames or comb laying around, very clean, have reduced the entrance, and also use a wet bed sheet draped over when they're being robbed to put a stop to it. It all works fine until the next day when they come back.
My hives are reasonably young, but strong.
Does anyone have any ideas?

when you say strong do you mean large colonies? is it only one hive or both? if you have one hive larger than the other and the larger one is ok you could try swapping their positions during the day, the smaller hive will be boosted in numbers and the larger one may cope better with the robbers.

Offline shan777

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 07:32:42 pm »
ha, now that's interesting. Makes sense.

A different approach that I haven't tried but have Heard about from an old beekeep with 70years experience

Close up the hive entrance except for one or two garden hoses that go Deep into the hive.

The robber bees find there way into the hive through the hose, when inside the hive they don't find their way out.

The robber bees get disorientated and stuck inside the hive and will bee assimilated and strengthen the hive

The hose must stay in Place for some time, so the robber bees beecome part of the hive, the bees that live there learn to use the hose in and out.

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline shan777

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2014, 07:33:46 pm »
They are young colonies, but chockas in first box. Both hives are getting robbed.

[/quote]

when you say strong do you mean large colonies? is it only one hive or both? if you have one hive larger than the other and the larger one is ok you could try swapping their positions during the day, the smaller hive will be boosted in numbers and the larger one may cope better with the robbers.
[/quote]

Offline jredburn

• House Bee
    • Poorboybees
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 04:47:54 pm »
Do a Google for "robbing screens'  They really work.
Reduce your entrance down to 20 mm and put a 3mm wire mesh across the entrance.  Make the mesh about 100 mm high and the width of the box.  Set it about 50 mm out from the face of the box so the bees have to fly up a little to get out of the box when they leave.
Robbing bees will approach  the front of a hive and fly back and forth looking for a chance to get by the guard bees.  When there is a screen in front of the entrance they are not smart enough to fly up over and down to get in so they eventually leave.
Regards
Joe

Offline shan777

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 01:14:58 am »
Do a Google for "robbing screens'  They really work.
Reduce your entrance down to 20 mm and put a 3mm wire mesh across the entrance.  Make the mesh about 100 mm high and the width of the box.  Set it about 50 mm out from the face of the box so the bees have to fly up a little to get out of the box when they leave.
Robbing bees will approach  the front of a hive and fly back and forth looking for a chance to get by the guard bees.  When there is a screen in front of the entrance they are not smart enough to fly up over and down to get in so they eventually leave.
Regards
Joe
thanks Joe, I will check it out.

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2014, 09:28:37 am »
One solution I did to that kind of robbing is to change the location of the weak hive. Daily robbing of bees is very frustrating for a beekeeper.
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline Vance G

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2014, 10:33:10 am »
I would reduce the entrance down to a couple inches wide and turn the hive 180 degrees one morning before your bees go out for the day.  It tends to confuse the robbers more than the homefolks.  A defensible perimeter is the important thing. 

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 11:51:31 pm »
firstly
i know your not lost but we don't know your local.

reduce the opening further in the center with no feed. feed on the right opening on the left

are you feeding?

1/8 hardware cloth out front, but do not cover the ends can help

see bees try to come in the front yours will learn quick use the side door.
jay
down youder not down under

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2014, 10:37:27 pm »
since you believe it is a feral hive doing the robbing

have you considered?

doing a swarm trap?

if you try this use 15 drops of LGO 5 on the right 5 on the left and 5 on the top

with each application, one lets the drops absorb into the wood before doing the next side.

use a 10f Lang deep and divide into two, with a piece of Masonite clear to the top. when ready to

expand the girls home pull out the Masonite board its all ready. unless you caught two queens.

don't forget the notches close them too.  yes use a entrance reducer open at both ends about an inch.

old comb if you have some, just rubber band to an empty frame no foundation.

caught mine in for days. Cool 20 or 30 going inside 3 to 4 hrs later bees everywere.

after you catch them feed them. yes you'll have to change the reducer to fit.

may stop the robing. least you'll have a third hive.

repeat till the robbing stops.