Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: one hive not packing it in  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
one hive not packing it in
« on: September 30, 2014, 06:17:15 pm »
I have 2 langs (both double deep brood boxes) and a top bar hive. One langs is putting honey away like crazy...even pulled 8 quarts awhile back. The other doesnt seem to store anything. I have windows in all the boxes even the supers. I know they have a Queen because I see capped brood every now an then but lots of empty comb (view from window). Lots of empty comb in super also.

We are in Pepper bush bloom but has rained early afternoon for the past week or so. Sure cuts down on the ability got forage.

Just wondering why one would do so well and the other not. TBH seems to be doing OK.

I have not been in the brood boxes...just window checking them.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Re: one hive not packing it in
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 02:18:30 am »
Some colonies just do better than others.  When I pulled some supers in the start of summer, I got 2 supers of honey each from most, one had less than one full super.  It needed a new queen.  Good luck to you and your bees.

Joe

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »
Carol,
This late in the year, I think, all you can do is feed the hives. 
I have found that 2 or more hives gives you comparisons for learning. 

Earlier in the year i had the same problem and added a brood frame to the weaker hive from the stronger hive.  It was a remarkable improvement.  I decided to feed both hives as well.  I would not add a brood frame now but you might get other opinions with more experience than mine.
Joe

Offline Carol

• House Bee
    • critters and crawlers visiting or living in my back yard
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 03:48:13 pm »
I pulled 4 frames of nectar and capped honey from one hive and put it in the other. The "packin it in hive" still has a super full of honey and nectar. I replaced the frames I moved with empty comb so they can keep on storing. My neighbor was going to pull some honey from his hive and said there was no extra to pull. Guess they had been feeding on what they had when we were having all those rainy afternoons. Weather is nice the last few days....bees working the Pepper Bush hard along with all the Spanish Needle.If the weather holds they may be able to take advantage of all that nectar and pollen out there.

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 05:42:14 pm »
do a split making sure to move the queen to the new digs and new location even if it is just feet.

some times, like at my house the queen explodes after a move.
if not re queen

either now or in the spring. this one you'll have to feed come December