Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Poster, New to Bees, and need some help with possible safe (??) pesticides??  (Read 3284 times)

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Hi everyone, and greetings from Miami, FL.  I am new to beekeeping, having successfully captured two swarms in my yard over the last few weeks.  (I have been interested in beekeeping for a long time, and the bees made starting a couple hives easy for me this time!)  The hives are doing well, and here lies my problem.  My husband is SUPER anal about his yard, and insect control.  While he has embraced the idea of the hives (as long as I do all the tending), I can not seem to get him to embrace the idea that we can't just spray insecticides anymore if there is whitefly, or whatever.   It's causing arguments.  So, is there such a thing as safe pesticides that can be used in our yard for pests like whitefly, scale, and mites, without endangering my bees?  Any and all input is greatly appreciated!  Thanks in advance! 

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
First, welcome to the forum.   Second, get a new husband.  No, wait, scratch that idea.   As long as he is not spraying the hives or plants in bloom, I think you will be OK.   I don't know how big your backyard is, but bees will fly for a couple miles around your hives. 

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Allen is on the right track but there are alot more things to look at.

Avoid residuals if at all possible. This is the stuff that leaves a toxic film or barrier where anything that comes in contact is in trouble. Look for the stuff that has a quick breakdown so he can zap the pest as needed without zapping everything for weeks or months on end. One class of insecticides is an absolute no no and that is the neonicotoids aka synthetic nicotine or systemic insecticides. Any application to OR drift either air, soil or water to a honey or pollen plant and your bees will take it back to the hive.
Another thing to look at is timing, bees are at home during the hours of darkness so treatments at that time have less impact especially if it is a quick acting and breakdown product. He needs to look more to spot treatments as needed as opposed to broadcast general purpose.
Also try to educate him on which classes of insecticides have higher or lower levels of toxicity. Generally the botanicals are milder Neem (deemed safe), pyrethrin (toxic to bees), horticultural oils (toxic if applied directly to bees but harmless if applied to a plant and allowed to dry), soaps (see oils).
It's just going to take some educating yourself and him on safer options.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Thank you both for your replies!  You have helped already.  I read the replies to the stubborn husband, and I actually think he is starting to "get it"!!!  Thanks SO much!  SO much to learn!   (I even read him the 'get a new husband'...LOL!!!)  Thanks again!   ;)