Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Cedar Woodenware... paint or polyurethane  (Read 3191 times)

Offline Astrocycler

• New Bee
Cedar Woodenware... paint or polyurethane
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:11:43 pm »
Hi all,

I am about to take the plunge and become a beekeeper.  This being the case I have a very large number of questions.  Here's the first...

I am probably going to purchase cedar woodenware.  Seems a shame to hide the beauty of the wood with paint so was thinking of using polyurethane spar varnish.  However, I live in Central Florida where the summer sun is brutal.  Is white paint my only GOOD choice for a finish to help keep the hive cool?

All comments appreciated.

Regards,

Ed
I know it is going to be a good day when I get up in the morning look back in the bed and I am not in it!

The best part of having grandbrats is I now have people my own age to play with.

Offline contactme_11

• House Bee
Re: Cedar Woodenware... paint or polyurethane
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:36:41 pm »
You can finish it however you like. I don't find different finishes to make much difference in temps.

Offline Astrocycler

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:40:00 pm »
Scott we have to stop meeting like this :-D

Thanks. 
I know it is going to be a good day when I get up in the morning look back in the bed and I am not in it!

The best part of having grandbrats is I now have people my own age to play with.

Offline wfuavenger

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2010, 09:01:48 pm »
sent you a pm

Offline AR Beekeeper

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2010, 10:43:37 am »
A white painted box will be 8 to 10 degrees cooler than a box that is brown or green.  I have never tested a box that is varnished to retain the natural color.

anything