Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: fermented honey  (Read 4693 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
fermented honey
« on: December 15, 2007, 04:40:08 pm »
I think i have some fermented honey. how do i tell if my honey is starting to go bad. is there any pics to compare? the honey i have is kind of cloudy. it taste fine to me but others say it smells funny and taste different. any help out there?
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: fermented honey
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2007, 04:48:21 pm »
Fermented honey tastes fermented.  Like alcohol and yeast.  Cloudy is usually just a sign that it's crystalizing.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2007, 02:41:55 pm »
Ditto on the last post.  Any bubbles/bubbling?
Do the other people say it tasted different than your clear honey, or just different from the honey they are used to?  If they are used to store honey, then your wildflower honey will probably taste/smell much different, especially if you pulled it off in the fall and have goldenrod or aster or perhaps buckwheat in there.

I also notice, that when my honey gets totally crystallized (as in solid) that the flavor seems to be stronger, not bad, but just more concentrated.

Rick
Rick

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2007, 08:51:01 am »
If it is starting to ferment, it doesnt mean it is going bad. 

Just add more water and a known yeast culture.  Leave the lid a bit loose and drink up on New Years.

Cheers!!!
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline mastro

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 12:56:26 am »
how come companies (http://www.reallyrawhoney.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RRH&Category_Code=FRRH) sell fermented honey?
from site:
(Some people believe that it is more effective for digestion than honey that is not fermented, but we have not seen any documentation to either prove or disprove this theory.

During the fermentation process the honey can get bubbly and even overspill out of the jar, so keep that in mind when storing. )

what's with this?  People buy this?

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 01:58:47 pm »
People eat cheese, bread, yogurt, sauerkraut, beer, wine, etc - all fermented.  I don't know about the fermented honey products, but hey, don't knock it till you try it - it might be good.

It also might be inedible crap being passed off as a delicacy. :-D
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.