Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Frustrated by losses.  (Read 4346 times)

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
Re: Frustrated by losses.
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:56 pm »
"thats a good survival rate did you treat for mites--RDY-B"

No, I didn't.

well keep them going - :) RDY-B

Offline alfred

• House Bee
    • Alfred's Massage
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 03:57:40 pm »
Thanks everyone for all of the encouraging replies.

I did not treat for mites this fall. I didn't see very many falling under the screens and I would rather not treat. Like I said I had very strong collonies in the fall. In the past I have used oxcylic acid vapor when I felt that it was needed. I will definitly do it this year regardless.

There was no moisture in the bottom of the hives so I don't think that that was a problem but I will probably have a bottom opening along with my top entrances to help ventillation next winter.

I used an insulative wrap so it is hard for me to belive that cold was the culprit.

My feeling now is that it was probably mites.... I left the debris on the bottom boards the other day when I checked them out. If I get a chance this weekend I will inspect the debis more closely to see about mites.

Alfred

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 05:47:32 pm »
forgot to mention until i was chatting with another....we had a nasty spring and very little summer.  they had plenty of stores because i fed, but never did build up as they should have.  my losses probably had a weather component.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 07:35:26 pm »
Kathy, I just read an interesting article about how honey components amplify the cytochrome P450 detoxification system.  I'll start a separate thread about this, but one thing that stands out is that sugar is not as good as honey for helping to neutralize aflatoxin.  I had to feed lots of syrup this year so I'm wondering if that might also be a factor.
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 10:14:01 pm »
i'm sure they do better with what they collect.  i have to revise my losses though.  today i saw orientation flights at one of the hives i was sure i had lost.  not many bees, but it was encouraging.  they might make it.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.