Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's a 5 frame medium Nuc worth?  (Read 9921 times)

Offline Thershey

• New Bee
What's a 5 frame medium Nuc worth?
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:59:01 pm »
Wrapping up my conversion to all medium equipment, I built a medium 3/3 queen castle and have started building 5 frame medium Nucs.  My primary goal is to grow my apiary with current stock but I also wouldn't mind re-couping a few bucks spent on loads of stuff, you all get it.

Has anyone sold 5 frame medium nucs (with a mated queen)?
How much $ ?
Was demand strong?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: What's a 5 frame medium Nuc worth?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 11:53:42 pm »
i would think there would be pretty good demand.  i'm not trying to be a smart-a$$ but it's worth whatever you can get for it.  if i needed bees i'd probably give 75-100 for it depending on a few variables.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 01:36:38 am »
Around here as framer said around 80-100. New frames etc no box.... transferred.
John 3:16

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 05:35:17 am »
 In the northeast, they're running between $120-$155

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 11:14:16 am »
In the Midwest they are going from $125 to $135.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 11:27:29 am »
$80 is a guy around here that does them on the low end. A guy that does local nucs gets $110. Not many choices where I live, definitely a market I would like to explore. No wood working skills for me but am going to try the dcoates nuc plans. Would fit my bill perfect and let them have the box if they wanted for $15 or 20.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 12:09:02 pm »
I would neither charge nor pay as much for a 5 frame medium as I would a 5 frame deep.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 12:19:52 pm »
I would neither charge nor pay as much for a 5 frame medium as I would a 5 frame deep.

Yea I was quoting deeps, forgot he said mediums..... but if you had medium equipment and you needed the bees..... would probably pay it???? Those that have medium equipment what do you think? Or should I say charge it, really is there any difference in the price of deep and medium nucs? I have no idee..... I mean idea :)

I realize the surface area of bees is different.... what price difference in charge would you suggest between the two?

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 12:43:03 pm »
Heck this is a full hive minus the bottom and top:

https://www.honeyrunapiaries.com/package-bees-nucs/nucs/

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 12:58:18 pm »
Last year I was selling a 8 frame medium Nuc the same as a 5 frame deep because I used a deep box with medium frames and then cut the comb below the medium and placed it in another frame. The customer provided new plastic foundation frames for each frame of bees that I provided.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 01:19:51 pm »
Last year I was selling a 8 frame medium Nuc the same as a 5 frame deep because I used a deep box with medium frames and then cut the comb below the medium and placed it in another frame. The customer provided new plastic foundation frames for each frame of bees that I provided.
Jim

Good way to get a medium there. Would have never thought of that  :-D

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:13 pm »
I would charge the same for a medium as I would a deep. It takes just about the same amount of money and labor to make each of them.
Who Dat!!!

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 01:51:29 pm »
Around here a five frame deep nuc goes for $120 up this year from $100 last spring. No equipment swap.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 02:13:49 pm »
Much depends on the NUC and who made it.

Information "I" want to know when purchasing one or more NUC (s);

How old or how long has it been an actual colony of bees?  When was the queen introduced?  Where did the queen and the bees come from?  Did the NUC supplier make it up themselves from 'their own' queens and bees or did they 'just' purchase them as anyone can?  Were they 'treated' with any chemicals?  If so, for what and when?  Can I transfer to my system?  I use all mediums so NUC's in DEEPS are a pain to deal with.

I've heard a couple troubling reports of 'unscrupulous' beeks buying several packages and some 'extra' queens, splitting them up, then adding a few of their own brood frames to a box with some honey and calling it a NUC, then selling it for $150.00 and up, depending on the extent of the tale told... :(  

The process in one case took a day to put everything to the ready, starting with a dozen packages with an 'extra' queen purchased for $95.00 each, those bees were split in two, put into 'cheap' NUC boxes with a queen, along with 2 frames of brood from the sellers bees and 2 frames of honey and sold the next day for $150.00 each.  A pretty good profit, heh?…..but NOT the way I'd want to get bees.

"Caveat emptor"        (buyer beware)……..or 'know' who is selling you the NUC….just saying  :)
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 02:39:45 pm »
I've heard a couple troubling reports of 'unscrupulous' beeks buying several packages and some 'extra' queens, splitting them up, then adding a few of their own brood frames to a box with some honey and calling it a NUC, then selling it for $150.00 and up, depending on the extent of the tale told... :(  

The process in one case took a day to put everything to the ready, starting with a dozen packages with an 'extra' queen purchased for $95.00 each, those bees were split in two, put into 'cheap' NUC boxes with a queen, along with 2 frames of brood from the sellers bees and 2 frames of honey and sold the next day for $150.00 each.  A pretty good profit, heh?…..but NOT the way I'd want to get bees.

Dang, guess you always got somebody trying to take advantage of others :( It's a real shame!

Offline Thershey

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 03:01:10 pm »
Thank you all for the input, it sounds as if I'll need to test the market and see what flies.  I'll be offering locally bred queens/bees from over-wintered hives, virgin wax drawn on foundation-less frames that have never been treated with a single chemical.

I think I'll throw it out there at $130 plus $20 deposit on the box.  I wouldn't expect to be overrun with buyers but 6-10 will recoup most of investment which would make this the funnest/cheapest hobby ever for me.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 05:03:05 pm »
Thank you all for the input, it sounds as if I'll need to test the market and see what flies.  I'll be offering locally bred queens/bees from over-wintered hives, virgin wax drawn on foundation-less frames that have never been treated with a single chemical.

I think I'll throw it out there at $130 plus $20 deposit on the box.  I wouldn't expect to be overrun with buyers but 6-10 will recoup most of investment which would make this the funnest/cheapest hobby ever for me.

That's great - making those your 'selling points' to potential beeks should result in selling out.  GOOD LUCK!!!  $150.00 for an established NUC in a refundable deposit box is a good price IMO.
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 05:46:23 pm »
I sell a 5 frame deep nuc, or a 7 or 8 frame medium nuc for the same price. I don't buy bees or queens to go in them, but they may be a caught swarm or a removal.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gmcharlie

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 05:49:41 pm »
If your selling a 5 frame MED nuc for 120,  IMO your ripping off a newbie, and should be ashamed....  I realize that prices are "subjective"  but thats just wrong......  Just my opinion....  taking advantage of a new beekeeper whos clueless.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 06:44:02 pm »
If your selling a 5 frame MED nuc for 120,  IMO your ripping off a newbie, and should be ashamed....  I realize that prices are "subjective"  but thats just wrong......  Just my opinion....  taking advantage of a new beekeeper whos clueless.

Well I guess im guilty of ripping people off. I dont fell too ashamed though   :-D
Who Dat!!!

anything