Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: the archery thing  (Read 18449 times)

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
the archery thing
« on: August 02, 2009, 09:44:28 pm »
i have decided on a recurve bow.  62" even though that is on the small end for me.  45 to 50# seem to much?  have an eye on a ben pearson colt and a couple of the older bear bows.  any suggestions before i make the leap?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: the archery thing
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2009, 12:01:22 am »
I believe my Martin Mambas are a good bit shorter than that. The extra lenght in a recurve or long bow makes for a smoother shooting bow.

Kathy, can I assume you won't be hunting with it? If you will be, some states have a minimum draw weight allowed to hunt, usually around 45lbs for deer.

Kathy, if I were you, I would go to an archery range and ask them to shoot 40-50 lb bows. You will need to do this over a two week period if possible in order to get an accurate indication as to what you can handle.

Shooting traditional bows you will use muscles you never knew you had and your body will be sore the first few days or so. Its like lifting weights, you will have to go through an adjustment period, so if you can, get to the range before you purchase a bow that will be uncomfortable or underweight to shoot.

If I had to pick a draw weight for you it would be 45lbs, but you may be able to handle 50.

Have fun and best of luck!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2009, 12:46:42 am »
thanks for the answer.  i don't plan to hunt with it.  it''s just for fun and backup if ammo goes out of style  :-D 

there is a shop in town.  guess i should just suck it up and drive in. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2009, 05:34:35 am »
Kathy, unless you are some brawney sheila, you may well have trouble holding that weight at full draw bearing in mind that olympian males may be drawing that weight or a bit more.

Shooting recurve means that you are holding the full draw weight at 28" draw length whereas compound bows come with a let off that means you are holding a fraction of the draw weight at full draw.

If you wish to shoot recurve, as JP said the longer the bow the smoother the action of the bow, but make sure that you can hold the draw weight without the shot collapsing

Just my 2c worth

Mick

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2009, 08:02:43 am »
Kathy, why a recurve and not a compound?

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2009, 10:44:34 am »
With a traditional bow, you only need to hold the draw at anchor until you're locked in to your target, but as Mick mentioned, you are still holding all of the draw weight because there is no let off as with a compound bow.

Traditional bows are far more exciting to shoot than compounds, take lots and lots of practice but there are many rewards. Just about anyone can go to a shop, get fitted for a compound, with all the gadgets can be hitting bull's eyes in ten minutes flat.

When I want meat, I use my compound. When I want to experience the hunt and really have a grand time, I use my long bow. There is no comparison.

If you want to really enjoy yourself Kathy, get you a recurve or long bow.

I do recommend you buying from an archery dealer. They can be very helpful setting you up and getting you fitted with the correct bow.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2009, 10:53:19 am »
Be prepared for a bit of sticker shock though. Arrows are quite a bit more expensive than bullets, even now.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2009, 01:20:51 pm »
mick, i am after the challenge of the sport,  not just making the bullseye :-).  this is just for fun.  i enjoyed it as a kid and thought it might be a good thing to get into again.  JP, if i can find a good archery place, i'll go.  i think there is one in town, but as i understand it, they draw mostly hunters.  i suspect the experience will be like the first truck i bought.  the guy took me to the passenger side and flipped down the vanity mirror so that i could see how nice it was  :evil:

i found someone else to sell me the truck.  left that guy standing on the lot while i went back into the dealer and asked who wanted to sell me a truck and not a vanity mirror.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2009, 05:12:21 pm »

i found someone else to sell me the truck.  left that guy standing on the lot while i went back into the dealer and asked who wanted to sell me a truck and not a vanity mirror.

Oh Kathy, you always make me smile!
 ;)

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2009, 06:35:41 pm »
 :-x Now Jp I thought you were my partner :-D you know what Kathy is going to do with that bow protecting Cindi's ducks and chicken's unless we pay a higher wage and when I pull a recon I'll be catchin arrows now thanks :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2009, 07:03:34 pm »
Kathy, whatever you get I am sure you will enjoy. Different people get their kicks from different things and shooting recurve is a great discipline (can also be very frustrating). I am sure you will enjoy it. The important thing is not to be over-bowed.

JP is correct in his suggestion of using a dedicated archery shop to help you with your choice. Its not like buying a computer at a chain store, it has to fit you properly and the arrows have to be matched to the bow and you. If you can get someone who is knowledgeable to help you with the proper form, draw and release that should go a long way to your enjoyment

Have fun with your archery, you will find it very addictive  :-D

Mick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2009, 07:35:45 pm »
thanks mick.  i always enjoy new games.

jody, that happened a few years ago.  i still buy trucks there.  the next time i went to look, i joked to the sales guy that i was glad he wasn't trying to show me the vanity mirror.  he asked  me why i said that and i told him the story.  apparently, that incident became part of the new employee training sessions.  'how not to sell trucks to women!'

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 08:05:44 pm »
I am pulling about 50# on the compound.
I got a deer year before last. It was a doe but it was in season and legal so that counts. :)doak

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 08:09:21 pm »
Kathy, archery shops cater to hunters and non-hunters as well, men and women shooters.

They will be very happy you stepped in and I'd be willing to bet there are other ladies that frequent some of those archery shops. You just need to find the one that suits you.

Good luck in your quest Kathy!

...JP

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 10:30:18 pm »
I would love to own a Turkish horse bow  :-D

Mick

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2009, 12:18:18 am »
http://www.wildwoodarchery.com.au/images/horse_bows/scythian/scythian_hero.jpg

Hey Mick, Dick Robertson's bows are absolutely incredible, ever heard of him? http://www.robertsonstykbow.com/

...JP

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2009, 01:12:26 am »
that would be spendy regression reduction therapy.  wonder how many drugs i could have prescribed with that amount that would do the same??   :-\

Offline SlickMick

• Field Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2009, 01:59:16 am »
That's seriously lovely stuff JP... but...

I think I would be doomed to a foreshortened lifespan if I came home with another bow :shock: 3 compounds, 1 recurve, 1 longbow

As the little lady says, How many bows can you shoot at once  :?

Mick

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009, 11:23:09 am »
it's like guns.  they are just fun!!

Offline Vibe

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 01:41:39 pm »
it's like guns.  they are just fun!!
Van Helsings repeating crossbow would be FUN. :D
I ended up letting my oldest have both of my bows. It'd take a while for me to work the shoulder back up for archery again.
The opinion of 10,000 men is of no value if none of them know anything about the subject.
- Marcus Aurelius -