Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Need help understanding how you work a Warre Hive...  (Read 2843 times)

Offline KeyBeeper

• New Bee
Need help understanding how you work a Warre Hive...
« on: October 14, 2009, 09:47:07 pm »
I know you harvest from the top and add boxes on the bottom.  To me it seems like it would be physically hard to add a box to the bottom.  Are you lifting 2 or more boxes off, setting them on the ground, dropping a new box on the floor and then putting the removed boxes on top?  Is there a more clever way to do it than I've described?
Homicidal Mimes: The silent killers

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Need help understanding how you work a Warre Hive...
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 09:57:02 pm »
If your working by yourself,  what you described is the best way, unless you build yourself a lift.
http://ruche-warre.levillage.org/La%20visite%20de%20printemps.htm

Often I have my son just slide the empty under as I pick up the boxes.   I remove the cover and quilt box and set aside to reduce the weight for lifting,  just leaving the burlap floured cloth in place.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline KeyBeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:00:14 pm »
Thanks Robo.  I'll be building my first Warre Hives this winter, hoping to have 3 or 4 colonies in the spring.  I'll have no help, just can't see my wife getting that close to bee's.   
Homicidal Mimes: The silent killers

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 04:23:25 pm »
She might surprise you! My husband doesn't react that well to bee stings, but we got an Epi-Pen and he agreed to at least watch. Now he actually *wants* to get into the hives with me from time to time. They are too fascinating! I think the observation windows helped him bond, too :)
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

anything