Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Extracted Honey and SHB  (Read 2371 times)

Offline PaloAltoMark

• New Bee
    • PlanterTomato.com Urban Farming
Extracted Honey and SHB
« on: August 23, 2011, 11:53:35 am »
Yesterday I harvested 40 pounds of honey.  When I did the filtering I noticed about 8-10 SHB larvae in the Honey.  I've read that SHB destroys honey due to a yeast that they carry.  Is my honey ruined?  Is there anything I can do to prevent it from fermenting over time?

Thanks
Backyard gardening tips and tricks, product reviews, and information about chickens and bees  at my web site: http://www.PlanterTomato.com

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Extracted Honey and SHB
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 01:49:28 pm »
The reason you filtered it was to get them out of it. I would be more worried about the moisture content of the honey than the larvae. If you had left the honey in the comb unprotected for several days with out extracting it you may have had a problem but I think you will be fine. What % of the honey was capped. What do you think is the main source of the nectar? Some have higher moisture contents than others, Palm is very wet.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Extracted Honey and SHB
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 11:36:16 pm »
I think you will be fine. You were hours away from a mess!

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

anything