Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Mite counts after use of Miteaway quick strips  (Read 2600 times)

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Mite counts after use of Miteaway quick strips
« on: September 25, 2012, 11:56:49 pm »
After the 7th day of treatment I put in a sticky board and over the following two days got 150 mites - one clearly alive. A week later, I put it back in for two days and got a count of 50. Are these dead mites being cleaned out of newly hatched cells, or did I have a problem with the treatment? Two deeps and a full super on top.

Offline Bradeeen

• New Bee
Re: Mite counts after use of Miteaway quick strips
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 05:45:05 am »
Good information on this page and i ma interested in this topic a lot because i have also faced this problem in past and i want to know maximum tricks to remove these pests.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Mite counts after use of Miteaway quick strips
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 01:04:25 pm »
The only way to assess the efficacy of a treatment is to use some method of assessing the mite load before, during and after the treatment.  That could be natural drop or a sugar roll or whatever, but you need to do the same one all three times.  Having a SBB with a tray helps as you can see how much drop you had before, count how many seem to have died and then measure the natural drop after.

If there is brood, no treatment is very effective.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesvarroatreatments.htm
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin