Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Moving bees in Duck Boxes  (Read 2612 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Moving bees in Duck Boxes
« on: November 29, 2009, 09:37:58 pm »
I gave a bee lecture to a Mensa Convention in Dallas this weekend. After the lecture I was approached by a couple.

They have 2 'duckboxes' which I presume are some kind of birdhouse that have bees in them in their backyard. they need them gone by late spring when they are having a social function.

One box apparently has been prolific enough to have comb under it as well. 

When should I move these boxes to austin? As soon as the last frost if over in February? When they start building up in April? Or now?

If I move them now, I won't put them in nucs until early spring. I'll let them be till winter's over in a few weeks.
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Moving bees in Duck Boxes
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 10:15:59 pm »
When the first blooms of spring arrive.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 09:40:09 am »
When the first blooms of spring arrive.

When you say first do you mean really first - like maple?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 09:59:53 am »
I mean when there will be blooms continuously, not when a warm spell in Jan. brings out 1 or 2 dandelions. The day you can look around and say "Spring has sprung".
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything