Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: great place to see  (Read 7831 times)

Offline super dave

• House Bee
great place to see
« on: January 01, 2007, 09:36:38 pm »
black water falls wv.. just so great

lets throw it in the air and see which  way it splatters

IndianaBrown

Re: great place to see
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 10:29:51 pm »
Beautiful place! 

I have stopped there for a picnic many times on my way to and from Seneca Rocks WV on climbing trips.  (I am originally from western PA.)  I hope the proposed highway through the Davis/Thomas area does not ruin the park! http://www.wvcorridorh.com/route/map3.html

If you have not found it already, check out Purple Fiddle in Thomas WV for some atmosphere when you are there (on the lower half of town, near the Post Office.)  They also run a Bed and Breakfast next door.  It is a quiet place for lunch, but it is packed on weekend evenings when they have live music.  I have not been there recently but heard that they are expanding.

My wife gets a kick out of the modern turbine windmills along some of the ridges in the area.

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2007, 10:37:09 pm »
i talked to others about the Purple Fiddle-- i think that will be my next adventerhave a great day, dave

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 01:24:28 pm »
looks like a great place dave wish i could go
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline super dave

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 07:58:22 pm »
its i bet about 3 1/2 hours from 76 and 81 in pa-- could be a nice over night trip for your self -- you could pick up a room at the purple fiddle in Thomas WV  -- it is a bed brekfest close by
have fun :mrgreen:

IndianaBrown

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 11:28:13 pm »

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 09:48:18 am »
On a warm day, I would love to sit at the bottom of these falls and let the massaging magic loosen up every tight muscle I have.

Speaking of which - my wife bought me a 50 minute HOT ROCK and FULL BODY MASSAGE at a very nice health spa (no funny stuff) for Christmas. I'll be going next week. Getting beat up for 50 minutes sound pretty delightful about now :)
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline austin

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 10:13:56 am »
That looks pretty. I wish i could go there one day. It sounds exciting guys :)

Offline organicgrl37

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 12:22:54 pm »
beemaster, I am so jealous of you and your massage. As a licensed massage therapist I am always the giver of the massage, rarely on the recieving end. Enjoy! Massages are for whatever ails you. I wouldn't mind having a massage at those waterfalls in the photo.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 10:45:52 pm »
The falls are breathtaking.  Being close to runnng water, such as that trickling, pouring over rocks can bring the freshest of air, coolness, comfort and tranquility.  Wish that these were close to my home.  Great day. Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

IndianaBrown

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2007, 03:58:51 am »
It would be great to get up close and personal with Blackwater Falls. Unfortunately the park does not allow you to get close enough to do so.  :(  The falls are relatively high so I guess they are afraid that people would jump/fall off of the top on to the rocks below.

However that part of the country has plenty of other falls and rivers where you can jump in and get wet.

I used to be involved with a church camp in SW PA before I moved to Indiana (and even for several years afterwards, but the logistics got to be too much.)  I started going there as a camper in the 70's and kept going back every year for a week or 2 (or 3), as a volunteer counselor or dean (event leader) through 2003.  I even met my wife there in 1994.  :) We took kids rock climbing, rappelling, caving, white water rafting, etc.  Here is a page on the camp's website that has a few photos of the 'bumslides' in Ohiopyle State Park. 
http://jumonville.gospelcom.net/f/adv/bum%20slides/jv.f.adv.bs.html
With Jr and Sr High kids, the bumslides were not exactly relaxing. :)  But there are several pools along the slide that are a bit like a natural whirlpool as well as a 4 foot waterfall downstream a bit.  The next valley over has a 40' waterfall that is only about 4' wide so you could get your massage there for sure.

Here is another breathtaking area in western PA: http://www.visitlawrencecounty.com/mcconnells_mills_state_park.asp
I grew up a few miles from there, and whenever I go back I try to stop there.  It is my 'spiritual home'  :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2007, 11:42:20 pm by IndianaBrown »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2007, 09:20:22 am »
IndianaBrown, nice sites.  We all need a special place to go to find peace within ourselves.  We have many small streams in our area that provide a cool place for the kids to cool off in the summertime.  These are shallow little rivers, with deeper pools that they can get neck high in.  Many times we bring the innertubes to these rivers and they float downstream.  As I said, not deep so there is no danger of them being lost within the water.  We have a particular pool just five minutes from our home that they swim in and have fun catching crayfish.  We have spent many an afternoon watching them play in these waters.  Too cold for this girl to go into, but I love to sit and watch, listening to the happy cries of boys getting rid of their energies in the depth of the waters.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 12:18:17 pm »
The water falls also reminds me of my young adult life. Tracey and I had a wonderfully special place where the falls weren't high, but the rocks smooth and the current perfect for just laying back and getting mother nature to drag away the tension of the day. We walked about a mile to get there and COULDN'T get there if the water level was hi - too slipper of rocks and moss kept most people away from our secret spot. But when you could, it was young lovers enjoying the simple comfort of being together and enjoying the relaxing waters and a picnic lunch. Now THOSE were the days.
NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 08:14:41 pm »
We go to Tennessee occasionally to see hubby's parents.  We've wandered all around the Cumberland plateau and have seen gorgeous falls.  Falls Creek Falls were the first, then Piney Falls, Ozone Falls, are the ones that stand out in my memory, but there are many others.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2007, 11:30:09 pm »
What wonderful stuff
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

anything