Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beeswax Foundation Installation  (Read 4700 times)

Offline Jami

• New Bee
Beeswax Foundation Installation
« on: March 24, 2005, 05:56:53 pm »
I just received all of my bee equipment to get started for my first time beekeeping adventure.  My bees are being shipped on April 9th (2 packages).  The only thing I haven't ordered is the foundation.  I am definetly going with pure beeswax foundation as suggested by Beekeeping for Dummies.  The problem is... I am very confused how to install it in my frames.  Does anybody know of a book or website with detailed instructions (pictures would be helpful) on how to embed wires into the foundatin, and then install it into the frame.  I need to know what equipment I need as well for this purpose.  Thanks for your help.  Jami

Anonymous

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 09:11:16 am »
If you order crimp wire foundation the vertical wires are already embeded in the foundation. place the L part on the top bar and nail the wedge bar in place to hold it. The Horz. wires are embeded by many a bee keeper with a star wheel wire embeder as sold by bee keeping equipment suppliers.
Just run the embeder wheel across the foundation on top of the wires, which presses the wire into the foundation.

:D Al

Offline Rich V

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 10:55:50 am »
Jami

This is also my first try a beekeeping. I went with the 100% crimped wire foundation. I would suggest that you find a helpfull beekeeper,and borrow his equipment. First you will have to string wire through your frames,then you'll have to embedd it into the foundation. There are differant ways of doing this,and it is very time consuming. Half way through I'd wished I had went with the Plasticell. They say its worth it,and the bees like it.

Rich V.

Offline DonAsoka

• New Bee
Zap em
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 10:36:46 am »
Hola Jami
what I do is Zap them on with a 12 volt battery, put your wax in the frame and zap the opposite ends of the wire for about 3or4 seconds, it melts them in beautifully, you could also use a battery charger and set it for what is confortable for your dextarity
DonAsoka

Offline DonAsoka

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 10:52:50 am »
In Spain we buy the sheets of foundation , the wires are not ebeded, too much hassle to goof around with little wires, the wooden frames you string yourself and change when necessary, beekeeping for Dummies shows only the embeded type :roll:
DonAsoka

anything