Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How do you keep the grass under control in the bee yard?  (Read 8305 times)

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
How do you keep the grass under control in the bee yard?
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:27:57 pm »
How do you keep the grass under control in and around the hives?

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
Re: How do you keep the grass under control in the bee yard?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:35:58 pm »
I set my hives on pavers and make the platform wide enough that nothing grows too close to the hives.

Offline Hethen57

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:38:47 pm »
I've seen local beekeepers put tar paper under their hive stands to keep weeds down in the immediate area.  i had a big rubber mat in the shop that I wasn't using, so I put that under my hive stands and it seems to work pretty good.  I imagine I will have to weed wack around it, but it gives me a buffer and prevents anything from growing directly under or around the hive stands.  
-Mike

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:49:54 pm »
I've got some of mine on a large rock.  But i use old mining belt around the rest of them as a matter of fact i've gotta go get some more belt this week.  Good thing about mineing belt that's used if you can find it it's nice and free and very durable.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 03:53:23 pm »
I have mine up on cinder blocks so the hive will not be damaged by the grass, but I am speaking more about the grass that is around the hive that will have to be cut simply to maintain the bee yards apperance. I'm not looking for a manicured beeyard, but not a jungle either.

Jeremy
Bee section of my blog: http://jeremy.lifewithchrist.org/category/bee-keeping.html ... has stories, pictures and videos of a new beekeeper.

Offline MustbeeNuts

• Field Bee
    • Great White Betta
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 04:06:53 pm »
I use them old fashioned hedge clippers. big scissors really. And I have an older push mower, no motor, seems to work ok, but stumpy oaks, I need the shears.
Each new day brings decisions,  these are  new branches on the tree of life.

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 04:09:00 pm »
I just give the old beeyard a quick trim with a weedeater....................electric, that is!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 04:28:04 pm »
Before I got the hives I ripped out all the grass in a 15x25 foot area as best I could and then I put down sheets of cardboard to keep down any grass or weeds that wanted to come up later.
On top of the cardboard I put loam that I had delivered and then I leveled some areas and put the pavers down and then the hives.
Then I planted shrubs behind the hives and perrenial flowers all around.
It looks nice and I don't have to do much maintenance there. No grass.
Unless you really like the grass look around the hives I would get rid of it all.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 04:33:11 pm »
Here we have a natural drought. so just wait for the grass to almost dry up and mow once. Done until next year. 

Offline jeremy_c

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 04:39:54 pm »
Here we have a natural drought. so just wait for the grass to almost dry up and mow once. Done until next year. 

If only I were so lucky as to only have to mow once a year. During the spring/early summer it seems that I mow the front lawn, then go to the back and when I'm done with it, the front is on the verge of needing mowed again :-) All joking aside, during spring and early summer if I want to keep my lawn (not bee yard) looking decent and keep up with the Jones, I need to mow every 5-6 days. Now, come summer that can be cut back quite a bit but when the grass starts growing, it grows!

Jeremy

Offline wisconsin_cur

• House Bee
    • The Back Porch Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 04:56:47 pm »
I use an old weed scythe around the hives... granted my placement is mostly weeds so a lot of things do not grow that tall and when they do they are brambles which go down easy with a scythe, but if you keep it sharp a scythe will take down grass as well.

If you have a friend or neighbor who uses a non-powered push mower for their grass that would work as well.
“It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him.” J.R.R. Tolkien

The Back Porch

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2009, 05:03:27 pm »
E or G Weed eater .veil and gloves :)doak

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2009, 05:08:49 pm »
I keep mine in check with a Noisy, Smoky and Irritating 2 cycle weed whacker  :evil:

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2009, 05:10:00 pm »
I use left over roofing shingles to keep the weeds down in front of the hives. If weeds grow on or around it, I'll tramp it down when I go out for inspections.  I also have my hives up on cinder blocks.  Nothing too elaborate.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline sarafina

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2009, 09:51:23 pm »
I have my 2 hives on cinder blocks and I put down some thin landscape cloth underneath them to keep the grass and weeds down.  I put down 2 widths of it and set the hives towards the back edge so most of it was in the front.

My husband mows pretty close to the hives - usually early in the morning on a sunny day.  We bought one of those push mowers from Sears last year - the old-fashioned mowers with the rotating blades and no motor.  Wasn't too expensive - and we both use it right in front of the hives where the landscape cloth ends.  He keeps a close eye on the girls but they have never bothered him.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2009, 09:56:44 pm »
For push and riding gas mowers, pass by so the grass and exhaust goes away from the hives. :roll:doak

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2009, 10:02:14 pm »
If I tell you this you may not believe it, but it is true.  I have my hives on my friends property up the block. He has 20 acres of land. He gets onto his riding lawnmower without any bee suit and drives that thing directly in front of the beehives.  He goes back and forth and all around and sometimes makes a mistake and blows the grass all over them.  They sometimes all come out to see what is up,but he has never gotten stung. He has even stopped in front of them and gone into reverse after sitting a few seconds. He is crazy, but he believes the bees will not sting him. 

We only have to do this once a year as I posted up above. Thank god because I go up there when he does this work and I sit and wait with the benedryl

He is a very brave soul

Offline deerhunter

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2009, 10:15:58 pm »
I use landscaping fabric in front and around the hives and use Creek sand and rocks on top so I never have any grass around my hives.

Offline Bee Happy

• Super Bee
  • that's me - setting a phoenix free
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2009, 10:40:26 pm »
Maybe a walk behind reel mower (the ancient push type with no motor)?  reasonably quiet, no ehxhaust, not very not sure what word I need here - it doesn't fling stuff at near ultrasonic speeds.
be happy and make others happy.

Offline dpence

• Field Bee
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2009, 11:26:54 pm »
We use a bagger mower, and hand clippers.  Plant lots of ladino clover, it doesn't grow too high... :-D

David

anything