Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wood Pulp for Swarm Trap  (Read 3744 times)

Offline bbbthingmaker

• House Bee
Wood Pulp for Swarm Trap
« on: December 07, 2013, 09:55:07 am »
Does anybody know how to make the wood/paper  pulp that is used to make swarm traps . I googled paper mache but didn't find what I wanted.  I have tried soaking news-paper but it never disintegrated to the point that it could be molded.  They should be simple to mold if I could come up with a reasonable way to make the material.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
Re: Wood Pulp for Swarm Trap
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2013, 01:47:27 pm »
Don't bother. Just make them.out of wood the size that will.hold frames

Offline HammerGa

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 04:36:37 pm »
Danno is telling you correctly. There is free or cheap wood that can be used which is quicker, easier and better.

Offline OldMech

• Queen Bee
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2013, 04:45:45 pm »
Signed!!!
   Do it with the frame size you use, then you can just transfer the frames into your permanent hive without having to do a "cutout" and use string or rubber bands to hold the comb in...

aside from that..  Shredding the newspaper, chopping it up / blending etc before adding your mixture to it will allow it to be molded over your form.
39 Hives and growing.  Havent found the end of the comfort zone yet.

Offline johng

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2014, 05:46:43 pm »
Listen to these guys they are steering you in the right direction. I caught a swarm in one of those paper swarm traps and it was a big pain. That new wax from a swarm is so soft it is very hard to secure into a frame. It is much easier to just use a wood box with frames already in it. And they build wax very fast with in just a couple days they can have quite a bit of wax built.

anything