Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Just a Few More Questions  (Read 3857 times)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
Just a Few More Questions
« on: February 22, 2008, 02:19:13 pm »
Please forgive me for asking some questions over and over, I just want to do it SO right...

Have 2 packages I am picking up in April.  I am going to shake them into mediums.  To afford as natural environ as possible to encourage small/natural cell..which foundations would you all recommend.  There are SO many...before I plunk down the clamshells, I would like your advice!

plastic
wood
wire
no wire
HSC

I need it as convenient as possible because I am not a builder.  I do not want to make anything or use any tools...

Thank you all...

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: Just a Few More Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 02:42:50 pm »
HSC is the only one that will give you instant regression.  But it only comes in deep size.  I know some have cut it down to medium,  but I guess that would break your "no tool" requirement.

Any of the others will require time and multiple steps to regress.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 04:18:21 pm »
I like simple things.I would purchase a sheet of foundation for each med.I would cut the foundation into 1 inch strips a would hot wax in each strip in place.
One sheet of deep foundation will make ten starter strips.The bees will decide what size the cells are.After they have drawn the comb you can measure to see what size the cells are.

I like to do for or five boxes at a time some I'm set for the future.
That is pretty simple it will be simple or complex decideing what you decide to do.

I like to get them installed then feed them get them going and established and not to get to involved with to many manipulations until then.
kirk0
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 04:50:38 pm »
Kirk-o 

Any size type of starter strip?

Offline suprstakr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 05:06:15 pm »
Anny size all wax , no wires , the bees start the comb with large cell on top for honey storage and from there they do what they like . just bee carefull with frames till they are attached on bottom. (Do not flip frames inspecting)
        Luck Ray :)

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 05:37:12 pm »
Thanks Ray...I am one step closer.  Thanks

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 05:38:49 pm »
If I decide to cut the HSC to fit a medium, how much to cut off, and what type of saw? ( there go my fingers )

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 06:36:39 pm »
There is nothing WRONG with any of these choices.  Some of it is your own preferences and some is what you want to spend.  Small cell foundation (5.1 or 4.9) is a dollar a sheet or so unwired.  I don't remember what it is wired.  Foundationless is just the cost of some popscicle sticks in addition to the cost of the frames.  HSC is about $4 a frame or so.  The Mann Lake PF100s (deep) or PF120s (medium) are less than $1 a frame and that is the frame and foundation if you buy 180 of them.

Obviously if you hate plastic and won't tolerate it in your hive, then you can rule out the HSC and the PF100s.

The thing I don't like about the wax foundation is that all the wax supply is contaminated.  If you don't do that because of the contamination, then the only thing left that makes sense is foundationless.

When I was out of time and short on money, I bought the PF120s (medium).  I have not been unhappy with them.

>I need it as convenient as possible because I am not a builder.  I do not want to make anything or use any tools...

For foundationless you just need some popscicle sticks and glue.  For PF120's you just put them in the hive.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin