Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Too Late to start Nuc in S. Mid TN?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline Bryn

• New Bee
Too Late to start Nuc in S. Mid TN?
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:37:44 pm »
Well the subject might say it all.  I will not bore you with the details unless you really want to know why I'm late wanting to start a hive, but I'm very interested in starting one ASAP as I know the longer I wait the less chance of carrying one through the winter.

I live in Southern Middle TN, and have a mentor as well as a local club(s) to gain help from.  The mentor has a lot experience (25 years) but had to give up his hives a couple of years ago.  As packages are no longer available I was looking at my other alternatives, buying a Nuc, or an established hive.  The latter would be turn key, but I would expect only someone leaving the hobby would consider this, while the Nuc might be a greater possibility.  Having asked one bee keeper about frames of brood, honey/pollen, he did not think too many would want to do this at the moment with the nectar flow still high, suggesting a possible split in the fall, around the time of September.  I was wondering if September might be too late.

I would be interested in knowing what others might think, especially in a similar climate.

Thanks

Bryn

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Too Late to start Nuc in S. Mid TN?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:41:10 pm »
Ya, feed the crap out of them.   

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 11:10:49 pm »
I would ask at a club meeting if anyone would be willing to sell a full hive. A nuc in Sept. would almost REQUIRE an experienced beek to get it through the winter, and even he will only have a 50-50 chance. Many do sell complete hives year round. You will never know unless you ask.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bryn

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 12:22:26 am »
A quick update.  I'm picking up two Nuc's on Saturday.

Thanks

Bryn

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 12:44:40 am »
Dat ain't gud nuff. Ya gotta tell us how ya found'em......
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline Bryn

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:19:01 pm »
I live in Columbia, TN about 45 miles south of Nashville.  a little further south towards Lawrenceburg is a community of Armish in Ethridge.  I heard about this Mr. Zoot making hives and thought he may know of someone with bees to split or sell, as well as an opportunity to see his wood working.  When we get to his home he had five beautiful hives all working and a gentle temperament.  We went into his wood shop and looked at his handy work and talked about his bees.  He suggested we should give John Seaborn a call in Centerville, TN, as that was where Mr. Zoot obtained his bees.  Mr. Seaborn was very helpful, and gave encouragement and said he did have some Nucs available, although it was getting a little late in the year.  As I do not have many posts I cannot use a URL link,
http://wolfcreekapiaries4-9bees.com/index.html
Hope that helps

Bryn
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:57:16 pm by buzzbee »

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 11:56:51 pm »
I fixed the link for you Bryn. Until you are able to post links,feel free tpo forward them to a moderator and mention the post you would like to attach them to. Good luck with the newfound addiction to insects!!

anything