Welcome, Guest

Poll

You use foundationless, do you wire frames

Yes
11 (68.8%)
No
5 (31.3%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Wiring foundationless  (Read 6059 times)

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
Wiring foundationless
« on: February 29, 2012, 09:29:03 am »
How many of you doing foundationless wire your frames first? 

Comments?
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Johnny253

• House Bee
Re: Wiring foundationless
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 10:02:45 am »
Jack,

I've only been keeping bees for a year now and started off with wired frames with wax foundation as that is what I was told to use by the people selling the gear. After reading about foundationless frames, I have tried some bees with them, mainly just to see what they do. I wasn't sure about wired vs unwired frames either. I already had some wired frames and as some people use wired frames and some don't, I figured it would be fine and would give the comb more strength (stronger for extracting). My only concerns were whether the wires would irritate the bees as they were building, whether they'd take longer to build on foundationless frames (not that it would matter much anyway) and whether the comb would be straight enough and reasonably burr free.

As well as surveying wired vs unwired, it would also be interesting to survey who uses foundation vs foundationless.

I'll be interested to read other people's comments.

Offline gov1623

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:01:58 pm »
I started putting one strand of wire about mid frame on deep frames. Bees don't mind it at all. I had too many close calls with comb falling out without the wire. I don't use wire on my medium hives and never really had a problem with the combs breaking but I definitely recommend to put wire in deep frames.
Who Dat!!!

Offline JackM

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 10:13:32 am »
Yeah, I should quantify I mean Medium Super frames
Jack of all trades
Master of none.

Offline Francus

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 11:33:00 am »
I am foundationless and do not use wire. You have to be careful with the frame until the girls attache the comb to the bottom and sides otherwise the comb will fall out.
"...but Sweetie, it's basically just an Ant Farm for adults...."

Offline beeghost

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 01:47:08 am »
After much reading, I decided to use 50# test fishing line and wired all my foundationless frames with it. I drilled two holes on each end bar and ran two horizontal lines and attached with two nails into the end bars. Very quick process and very easy to do as well. Its also a piece of mind that it will help support the comb in my deep frames.

From what i have read, you wont have to run wires in medium frames as they are smaller and the bees seem to attach them at all sides easier and quicker than deep frames.
Coyote Creek Bees - Est.2011

Offline PeeVee

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 04:27:56 pm »
I've been "wiring" my medium foundationless frames much the same as "beeghost". I have a bench vise mounted to my frame assembly area and with the frame mounted in the vise - held by the top bar - tightening the 50# line is fairly easy. And quicker if I remember to start the little nails first. And the starter strip. All items I have forgotten at some point when I became distracted.
-Paul VanSlyke - Cheers from Deposit,NY

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 05:00:23 pm »
I've been running two strands of 50# test fishing line in my deep foundationless frames ever since I got that sinking feeling as I watched some pretty comb fall away from a frame in 105 degree heat.  Here in Texas I think it's necessary.  I got the idea from the fat beeman's youtube video.  He uses fishing line on both sides of his wax foundation to prevent the sags.  I'm making some new medium frames and have been putting one strand in them but admittedly haven't tried mediums without reinforcement.  Most of my medium super frames are several years old and have Mann Lake plastic foundation in them.  After I lost some comb I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 07:23:24 pm »
Has anyone tried any of the other fishing lines [other than monofillement] like Fire line?

John

Offline obxbee

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 10:12:19 pm »
I would be afraid of using fireline or any braided line due to the small diameter as it would cut throught the wax easily.
I've got scars on my fingers from using it fishing, it cuts like a knife.
jus my .02.

Offline S.M.N.Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 11:36:32 pm »
Your probably right obxbee. I just thought the lines low stretch and abrasion resistance would work.

I'm building some frames now. I will try a few to see how it works.

John

Online Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2012, 07:11:06 am »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline beyondthesidewalks

• House Bee
  • I need a shave
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2012, 11:47:56 am »
The stretch or resiliency of monofilament makes it an excellent cadidate for supporting comb in a wooden frame.  You can strectch it good and tight and that will keep it tight as it digs into the wood on the end bars.  You can pluck my supports and it sounds a little like a ukelele.  The bees draw comb right around it  and tend to keep the mid rib of the comb on the wire or fishing line.  Helps keep the comb in the frame if you have a plumb problem.