Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: trapouts  (Read 5398 times)

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: trapouts
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 06:59:57 pm »
Maybe a can of raid from the home owner or their neighbor.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2012, 09:15:41 pm »
Iddee I am going to try second round at trapout now that I have my own eggs brood same bees in wall first trapout was going great and then all bees in box were dead. I have 4 hives with 3 pound packages and doing great but there is more bees going in 1 1/2 inch hole in  wall than my 4 hives combined does this mean more bees or just more foragers any other tips for trapout.                                    thanks much

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2012, 10:59:38 pm »
I wish you luck. Hopefully, they won't be poisoned this time. Keep us posted.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2012, 11:16:19 pm »
is there this many bees in wall or just foragers

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2012, 08:11:08 pm »
Iddee anybody can you tell me how soon I should check trapout hivebox to see if it needs to be changed out there is more activity going in and out than my package hives and I just started trapout 26 hours ago. Would it fill that quick still 5 to 10 bees a minute coming out end of cone. HELP!!!!! ADVICE PLEASE          THANKS

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2012, 09:23:01 pm »
I always check them after the first day.Almost all of the foragers from the colony get trapped that first day. Day by day that # dwindles.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2012, 09:45:33 pm »
Every trap is different, so the time varies too much to make a guess. BUT, you can lift the lid and look 3 times a day if needed. When there are 7 or more frames covered with bees when I look down from the top in a 10 frame box, I change it out. I do not start a trap with a nuc. If I did, I would probably remove it when 4 frames are covered.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2012, 11:47:01 pm »
 i checked at 27 hours and 5 to 6 frames  full still lots of bees coming out of cone . 30 to 50 outside entrance fanning first time I ever saw this it was great .  I put stick from base of trapout to hive and instantly bees used it as bridge to hive I will probably have to change hive tomorrow how does this work screen off entrance and when do I move and can I open up hive right away  only moving 300 yards . Still lots of bees coming out 5 to 10 a minute hour before dark so maybe lots more  I hope. thanks can you tell Im new at this

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2012, 11:53:22 pm »
I would move it a few miles away for a week, then bring it home. Change it early morning with eggs in the new box, or at night and place eggs in the new box the next morning. You want a full day for enough bees to come out to keep the brood warm the first night.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2012, 11:59:42 pm »
thanks iddee can i let them out right away when i move few miles and can i move before queencell is started and how soon should queencell be started  whats the normal and most you got out of one trapout

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2012, 08:10:05 am »
You can safely move it for the first 5 days, That is before the queen cell caps. Release them when they are on location. Queen cells should be capped on the 6th day after setting trap. I have gotten as little as 2 frames of bees, and as many as 4 hives and a nuc. 

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2012, 09:33:19 am »
so far trapout looks like it is a success a few  crabby bees but not to bad real nice queen cell and all looks well  i hope it stays that way second hive in place and catching bees  thanks everybody

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2012, 07:02:01 pm »
Good to hear. Keep us updated.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 08:47:24 pm »
12 hours with new box in place guessing 2 pounds of bees and still coming out  of cone about 5 a minute I think there is a lot more in wall than  I guessed that is good but now I have to get more hives thanks a will keep you posted

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 01:08:03 pm »
I have 2 hives full that I move from trapout and put another empty there but now Im running a little low on brood and eggs I dont want to weaken my hives so could I put a caged queen in box with some drawn comb they are already going in with pollen.so I think they would stay with a queen any thoughts if that dont work I will get frame from one of my stronger hives but would rather not weaken them if this would be a way to go would queen start laying faster than them making a queen    thanks

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 06:12:26 pm »
It will work. Leave the queen caged for 3 or 4 days. If the hive doesn't have to be totally moved, you can also back off and let them regroup. Trap another 2 or 3 boxes later.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2012, 07:32:24 pm »
Im doing my second trapout I started with caged queen and bees went right in and right back in  even after I had to put it back together after bear problems. my question is I have a small swarm maybe 1000 bees and queen  that was given to me can I use this as a trapout hive when I take full box away and switch with small swarm I have in hive or will they fight . I think it would really boost that hive . thanks much

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2012, 08:26:42 pm »
I used a 1 frame and queen nuc on a trap. Took away a 5 frame nuc with queen a few days later. It worked perfectly.

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2012, 09:03:37 pm »
thanks Iddee I just thought it would be a good way to boost that hive and save some brood eggs and not weaken another hive Ill keep you up to date thanks again

Offline tincan

• House Bee
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2012, 12:48:20 pm »
went to check trapout this morning and bear wasnt back and radio was still playing but the cone was full of bees   I looked and end of cone was plugged with 2 or 3 dead bees tapped with stick dead bees fell out and live bees filed out I think bear may have killed a few extra bees . bees are all over queen cage and bringing in lots of pollen .hopefully bear stays away.