Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: 4 hives down  (Read 2916 times)

Offline StephenSDH

• New Bee
4 hives down
« on: August 29, 2009, 02:18:43 pm »
I lost a nuc a week ago bees crawling everywhere on the ground, the whole hive died.  Today I was outside an my three big hives all have bees crawing out and thousands of dead.  It has been very humid here since March.  Things have never really dried out.  The hives smell a little like rot, but I believe that is mainly because of thousands of bees outside the hive.  It is adult bees that are dieing so I don't think it is foul brood.  Maybe pestisides?  There is no mold or algee or anything funky in the hives.  I think it might be too late, but I hope not. First year raising bees and I don't want it to end like this.

Can anyone point me toward what I should check/do??

Steve

http://img269.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=img3174g.jpg

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: 4 hives down
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 08:30:24 pm »
Are they starving?  Is the hive light?  Are there stores?  Is there a flow?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline StephenSDH

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 10:39:28 pm »
I think your right. I just tipped the three hives and they are light.  I will put out sugar water tonight.  Is there anything else I should do?

A local bee keeper told me there isn't much between the tulip poplars and fall.  I didn't realize they could run out of food though. 

Thanks, Steve

Offline StephenSDH

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:07:26 pm »
The bees look happy and healthy now.  I hope no one here reports me for neglect.  Two of the three bottom boards had an inch of dead bees.  I used a leaf blower to clean up the area.  I checked on them over a month ago and they had honey, I didn't want to disturb them since they have been doing so well.  There are still lots of bees so it looks like the population is still okay.  I am going to look tomorrow and makes sure there are still queens.

Steve

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 05:28:14 pm »
it happens.  a couple of springs ago, some of us in the PNW almost lost hives the same way. bad weather, etc....  i caught mine just in time.  it's a good, if sometimes painful reminder, that if we keep them, we have to care for them.....and still sometimes we fail.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.