Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Our greasy, grimy fry eating day  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Our greasy, grimy fry eating day
« on: November 29, 2007, 11:01:43 am »
Now and then I get a hankering for some bad, greasy, deep fried food.  This ends up with me pulling out my deep fryer and proceeding to cut potatoes for the mouth watering french fries.

I have a tool that I use for cutting the fries (the are actually ripple potato chips), this food processor of sorts allows me to have the speed of light when processing different foods for the stove too.

It all began a couple of days ago, I thought I would cook some greasy fried food for my Husband and I for a early afternoon snack.  I prepared the potatoes and began to cook.  Oh the lovely taste of this greasy food on a cool winter day.  Can't beat it.  Not great for the health, but then, wintertime is always the time when we seem to eat food that is not as healthy.

So.....now thoughts come to my mind.  How can I diguise the smell of the french fried food before the kids get home from school.  Well, that is an impossibility.  So, now I am back to the food processor, cutting more potatoes for the cooker.

The elementary kids come home first, they burst through the door because this lovely aroma has not exited my home and catches their delicate little noses on the wind.  They all want the fries, including my Nephews.  So, more cooking.

Now I know that the high school kids will be getting home from school about an hour after the littler ones.  They will want their part of this great food as well. I work more, cook more potatoes.

All the high school kids come up the sidewalk, they smell the scent of the fries as well.  They open the door, looking for their Auntie to make some food for them. They all sit, I am cooking and cooking and cooking.  They eat batch after batch.  Oh brother.  What a day.  What started out as a snack for my Husband and myself, wound up feeding 8 kids these nasty french fried potatoes.

I used up a 20 pound bag of potatoes, and three hours later I was done. 

I am sorry if I am making many mouths drool, I am probably disgusting some too, but, we had the time of our lives.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, enjoy the life we're livin'.  Cindi

My Saladmaster food slicer/processor:

The finished product:

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Our greasy, grimy fry eating day
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 11:18:02 am »
Man, they sure look good Cindi did you happen to save me some? :-D
If you can cook them outside that's the way to go.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 01:10:20 pm »
yum, yum, did you use peanut oil?

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 01:57:35 pm »
So that averages to 2 lbs of potato chips per person, not including the oil??? :shock:

They look great, I have a salad cutter like that...I'll have to try it.  I'd need at least a 10 lb bag....I don't know where they put it, but those boys (and girl!) can sure put away a lot!!!

Rick
Rick

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 11:22:25 pm »
 :shock:So how many pounds of oil were absorbed by the 20lbs of potatoes, surely the level dropped a bit in the cooker :shock:  Oh my, I've got to get out my deep fryer for tomorrow night.  That gadget looks handy, can you use it to make slaw?  Are other cutter profiles available?

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2007, 09:13:08 am »
JP, sorry, there were none left, otherwise, you would have been in that line up too!!!  I should cook them outside, absolutely no question, and you know, I think that next time I am going to.  My house smelled like french fried potatoes for a couple of days, even with opening the windows and doors for a brief time.  Even my Brother--in-Law one day when I went outside and he saw me, told me that I smelled like French fries, I laughed, because he didn't know that I had cooked them, but he certainly could smell it on my clothes, funny thing.

Dallas, no, I don't use peanut oil, I know that I should, I simply use a high quality canola oil, I don't buy the cheap brands.  It is interesting.  My Husband bought be this deep fryer, and spent a little bit more to get a little higher quality one, it has a filter on the lid.  Even after cooking 20 pounds of potatoes, the oil in the fryer only had gone down about 1/4 inch.  I am not exaggerating.  I think it is the design or something, but these fried foods are bascially oil free.  I drain them in the basket and then place them into a brown paper bag to shake off the excess oil.  But...there isn't any.  By the time I had finished cooking this bag of potatoes (and that is a lot of spuds), the brown bag was not even that oily, of course it had some oil residues, but basically none to speak of, for the amount of fries I made.  I am impressed, needless to say.

Rick, curious, is yours a Saladmaster too?  Did you get sucked into buying the cookware to get it?  (Ooops, did I actually say that?).  I saw this apparatus at a home show one time and wanted it, it looked so cool (and it really is).  I told the demonstrator that I wanted one.  She told me that I had to have a pot party and then if I had enough people that booked a party and if I bought some pots, it would be mine.  So, to make a long story short, I did.  I did get the Saladmaster cutter, and have never looked back.  The pots were extraordinarily expensive, but I love the pots too, I don't think that I will ever have to buy another set of pots, and when I go, my girls will have to fight over who gets the pot set (hee, hee, I can just see them squabbling now).....no Mum said that I got them, no Mum said that I got them.....guess I better get that in the will eh?  Hee, hee, one should never let their children squabble  ;) :) :)

BenC, the gadget has three other "blades".  One I use for slaws or hash browns, one that makes flat discs (like the fries, only no krinkle), and one that makes really fine shreds for super thin slaws.  The most useful kitchen device that I own.  It can grate 2 pounds of cheese in about 2 minutes.  So handy when you have a big family of teenager boys that eat like they will never see tomorrow.  Yes, Rick, where the heck do they put it all?  I have never figured that one out yet, and we have fed alot of teenager boys throughout our lives as foster parents.....yeah!!!  They probably all grew up to be big and strong men.  I know the ones that keep in touch sure look good!!!!!  Go and have a wonderful and beautiful day.  Cindi

P.S.  Go ahead and have those greasy, grimy day with yours kids, they'll love you to the end of time  :roll: ;) :)
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2007, 09:27:40 am »
Rick, curious, is yours a Saladmaster too?  Did you get sucked into buying the cookware to get it?  (Ooops, did I actually say that?).

I have no idea what brand, but the cutters look the same.  I inherited mine when my grandma died a while back.  I t is probably 40 or more years old.  I use it every year to shred zucchini mostly, but I've done cheese and cabbage as well.  I'll have to try potato chips next :).
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2007, 10:13:31 am »
Rick, those cutters are timeless.  I have an old one too that I bought at a second hand store.  It is made by the same company, Salad Master.  The design of the one I got at the second hand store is slightly different, but identical principal in theory.  They have been around  for many, many, many years.  The one that you got from your Grandmother was the first design of the apparatus.  Awesome, they don't wear out.  I had to buy new rubber feet for the old one that I bought, but the feet from the company, still fits the one that must be over 4 decades old.  That is cool.....never get rid of that piece of kitchen equipment.  It is stainless steel and will last may lifetimes.  Good for you.  Have a wonderful and great day, Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 11:40:55 am »
I've lost 90 lbs as of today since March and I want a batch right now of your fries! I think you have overcome my willpower w/ those pics!. Oh Noooo....!!!!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2007, 04:03:25 pm »
Konasdad, wow, that is alot of weight, good for you, I take my hat off to you.  Are you just eating sensibly, or a special diet, whatever it is, must be doing its magic.  Does it have anything to do with the juice you drink  :) :) :)

I would not suggest that you go and eat a bunch of fries, such as I cooked, I think that that weight would come right back on the same day and it would take another 8 months to lose it  :roll:  Have a great and wonderful day.  Cindi

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2007, 04:43:07 pm »
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy Cindi-  a few fries wont kill me(immediately)I eat sensibly, but its being pain free. One year this month of being pain free. I cant believe it myself. I haven't had a  percocet in over a year, no oxdycontins, oxycodone, just occassional aleve is all i need anymore. As a result, I am myself and being active again. getting out to just be outside is great exercise. I had been in pain since about 1988 or so. Six knee operations by that time. I was trying, but it was far easier than I would have believed. I want to continue. I started "watching my weight" March 14. I'll continue until than and make  some new goals. I think I will try soem Yoga or pilates than to increas my core strenght and see if i can turn back the hands of time physically.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2007, 10:28:40 am »
Konasdad.  That is absolutely wonderful to hear of your recovery from pain.  Percocet is a very strong drug.  I am happy to hear of this.  You have set some life altering goals and that will do nothing but good for you.  Do you have a secret as to how you have lost this weight?  My Sister could lose about 100 pounds, she is overweight, but very healthy.  She would feel so much better if she could diss that weight.  She is so pretty, I can't imagine how she would look even with 40 pounds less on her frame.  I don't know how she can be overweight with the amount of farm work that she does, and 7 kids that keep her going all day long, but she is simply an easy keeper, I guess.  Have a wonderful and beautiful day, loving our life we live. Cindi

anything