Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newbee from Caledonia,Mi  (Read 3027 times)

Offline kingd

• New Bee
Newbee from Caledonia,Mi
« on: October 30, 2013, 11:11:32 am »
Hi everyone,

Want to get into beekeeping,We have a wild hive that has been here for over 4 years in a tree and now I want to try
it.
I know nothing about it other than what I have read. Hoping for someone local to steer me in the right direction.

Thanks

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Newbee from Caledonia,Mi
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 02:17:48 pm »
Welcome Kingd. During this winter, I recommend you get your hive equipment and read up on this site and look at the videos of how to trap out a hive and how to make swarm traps. Sounds like you have a great hive on your property top start your apiary. If it has been there for 4 years, it has the right genetics to survive. If I was just starting out, I would start with all 8 frame medium boxes. That has something to do with the fact that I am getting close to being in my 60's.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 02:18:58 pm »
Be sure to update your profile with your location.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 05:00:31 pm »
Will do,

The strange thing is in the past they would come out in mass for hour or so (like they are splitting up),They done 3 different times over the years.

I was not thinking of getting them out of the tree,I was going to buy some.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:35:46 pm »
Most likely they are swarming at least once a year,  that is probably what you are seeing.  You will not be able to buy bees as good as these.   I would build yourself a few swarm traps this winter.  Get some old comb from another beekeeper to use as lure.

You can download plans for the swarm traps I use here -> http://robo.bushkillfarms.com/beekeeping/downloads/

And see the results here -> http://beevac.com/swarm-traps/

I haven't updated the site with results from this year, but I would suggest forgoing wasting any money on swarm lure and go the extra effort to find old comb from another beekeeper.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 07:39:29 pm »
Welcome to the forums!

So exciting that you found those bees. Definitely look into building a swarm trap - those bees are obviously acclimated to your climate and have successfully made it without treatments (only strong and healthy colonies throw swarms).

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:14:50 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Kingd.  Besides the threads and videos here you may want to join your local bee club.  It is better to have the same size supers.  I how ever have deep brood, and medium and shallow supers.  I am over 60 and the shallow supers are easier to move, I also still am running 10 frame boxs.  Medium 8 frame would be light also.  I get to rambling.  Good luck to you, you have caught the bug.

Joe

Offline merince

• House Bee
    • Maria's Bees
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 09:09:00 pm »
I agree with Joe D - it is nice to have all the supers and brood boxes to be of the same size. Then all of the manipulations are a lot easier!

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 09:48:11 pm »
another Michigander   Welcome

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 09:34:56 am »
Welcome to the group, winter is a fine time to get your equipment together for next season. The journey begins!

Offline kingd

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 05:32:52 pm »
Thanks for the info,Now I need to find a local club.

Offline RC

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 10:04:32 pm »
Take any advice I give with a grain of salt, as I've only been doing this a couple of years. But I would like to pass on a few things I've learned.
Start with 8 frame mediums. A deep super full of honey will hurt you. I'm a 50 year old man, in excellent health and a full deep is heavy and akward. Use all the same size boxes, whatever you go with.
Control your mites. Don't assume that because you don't see them, they're not there. They are.
Requeen at the first sign of trouble. Use good queens from a reputable, experienced breeder, or raise your own.
Feed if needed. Suplement with protein if needed.
Don't wear pants with holes in them.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 09:42:55 pm »
Welcome and congrads on the hive!
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

anything