Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS  (Read 4134 times)

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« on: May 16, 2006, 11:13:10 am »
My hive has an attached(stapled) bottom board. I beleive it would be beneficial to switch to a screened & slatted combo bottom. Is this a good idea? If so, ...
How do I safely switch out the existing bottom board?

What order do I place the new screened and slatted bottoms?

Lastly, and unrelated, are pollen traps a good idea? My allergies are killing me, and some pollen might be helpful(hopefully). If so, top, bottom front entance types? Thanx in advance as usual.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 11:32:32 pm »
The typical staples for attaching bee hive bottoms are the 2" ones that are on the sides.  Is this what you have?  If so, just pull them out.  Put the lid on the ground and stack the entire hive on the lid and remove the bottom board.  Put the new one down and restack.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 03:58:42 am »
I use both the screened bottom board and the slatted rack, but have modified the slatted rack so that the racks run parallel to the frames this way the mites fall through and don't get hung up on the slats where they can hitch a new ride.  I use 1 inch dowling so that even if the mites land on wood there is still a chance they will roll off and fall through the screen.
A hive staple can span across the rack from bottom board to hive body but I prefer to staple each piece.
I've started making my own combo screened bottom board and slatted rack unit but it's still in the construction stage.  I'm building the jigs as I go.  The design also has the entrance on the wide side so that I can access the hive from the rear from my wheelchair.  If enough people are interested in it I'll post a picture and the plans when I get it finished.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline mat

• House Bee
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:29:54 am »
I am going to replace the bottoms in my two hives today. I bilt the screen bottoms but also with under floor entrance. Has anybody used that?
mat

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 07:40:14 am »
I started making one a month or so ago but haven't been able to finish because lack of time... heres is were I got the Idea from...

http://www.bbka.org.uk/freefiles/diy_open_mesh_floor-graham-white.pdf
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline mat

• House Bee
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 08:57:53 am »
This is what I based mine on.  If it works for them shoud work here too.
mat

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 11:22:21 am »
Yes they are the staple variety. I moved ny hive last week(30ft) at about 8:00 PM and the bees were aggressive. I drove them in my car for an hour and they were docile the day i received them. So I am a little leary of changes at the moment.
i SHOULD DO THIS BY DAY?
Yes some plans would be great too!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline mat

• House Bee
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 08:35:18 pm »
I changed the bottom boards in my two hives for screend with underfloor entrance ones today. They were quite confused but soon learnt how to get inside. Now I have question for those who use sbb. When do you open it completely (so there is just the screen undrneath), or maybe you keep it open all year round during winter too, or you regulate how wide it is open depending on the temperature? I had also an observation that you may look with the mirror and see what is going inside. Has anybody used that method?
mat

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 08:56:57 pm »
Quote from: mat
When do you open it completely (so there is just the screen underneath)

as soon as I put it on it is wide open, I made my own and don't have the closer selection ;)  ....

or maybe you keep it open all year round during winter too

all year mine is open...

or you regulate how wide it is open depending on the temperature?

never done this...

I had also an observation that you may look with the mirror and see what is going inside. Has anybody used that method?

never done this either...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 09:45:07 pm »
>i SHOULD DO THIS BY DAY?

Never work bees at night.  Never work bees if they aren't flying.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
CHANGING BOTTOM BOARDS
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 02:23:14 am »
The indications are that the extra ventilation of a SBB seems to invigorate the bees.  I designed mine with trays.  When I finish making them, I plan to use with open bottom during the spring and summer as this has the added advantage that the mites are not going to climb back into the hive.
The tray is there, if needed, so that mite contol can continue all winter long.  Greasing the tray just like you would with SHB prevention gives you one treatment for two problems.  In winter I believe it will be possible, on milder days, to check, wipe clean, and re-grease the trays about once every 3-4 weeks.
That's my action plan--I't one I've decided on after a lot of consideraton.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!