Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Question for Anyone That Keeps a TBH...  (Read 2698 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Question for Anyone That Keeps a TBH...
« on: July 16, 2005, 12:35:38 am »
I'm debating about putting the next hive of bees I get into a top bar hive.  Granted I don't care about maximum honey yeild I just want to see the natural form of a brood nest.  I've read about two types of TBHs(KTBH and TTBH) and I was wondering if the angle of a KTBH really reduces brace comb.  I was also wondering if anyone had a prefered depth and/or length for their TBHs. Thanks.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Question for Anyone That Keeps a TBH...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 02:45:46 pm »
>I was wondering if the angle of a KTBH really reduces brace comb.

Not at all.

> I was also wondering if anyone had a prefered depth and/or length for their TBHs.

With square sides, 19" bars (the size of a langstroth) and 10 1/8" depth (9 5/8" + 3/4" is the same  as a Langsroth deep on a 3/4" bottom board) the combs all collapses on me.  Like a row of dominoes.  ALL the combs collapsed.  With 10 1/8" depth 15" bars and sloped sides I've only ever had one comb collapse.

With square sides, 19" bars and 7 1/2" depth, I've had the same luck as the KTBH.  Less depth seemed to prevent the comb collapse problems.  You still have to be careful, of course, but they don't go down like a row of dominoes.

Pcitures of both of mine are here:

www.bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything