Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Trip to an apiary  (Read 2473 times)

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Trip to an apiary
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:15:57 am »
Today I took a couple trips to a commercial apiary located about 20 miles from our place.  I went down in the afternoon to get some frames.  (I don't have the time right now to cut my own, and they were only 50 cents each.)  He showed me around his workshop, all the specialized woodworking equipment that will cut complete top bars, end bars, boxes, etc. from one pass of a piece of wood through the machine.  He explained how he treats the boxes with copper compound, and even gave me a thin kerf blade to cut the wedges in the top bars I bought.  Even though he has many of his hives farmed out all over the northeast, the air was literally buzzing with bees.  We got to talking and I mentioned that someone I knew bought some single box hives from him earlier this year, and he said he still had a bunch.  

So I went back this evening as it was getting dark and picked up two of them.  We drove out through the cows to his hive holding areas.  They were full of stacks of hives.  There were several pallets of hives set off by themselves that belonged to someone in PA, that he'd recently brought back from Maine because the guy was overloaded.  He said they were mean and didn't like them.  We picked two of his hives that he said had been recently checked out as queenright.  They were both bearding and heavy.  He smoked them a bit and then just swung them up into the pickup onto our pallet.  He breeds Minnesota Hygienic queens and has been running his hives with these for several years.  I dunno how these will compare with the ordinary italians I've had up 'til now.  He also said he's been trying to breed some SMR traits into them, but hasn't been successful yet.

So we drove the hives back and offloaded them into our beeyard.  It was a little hairy because the one hive was bearded all up the front of the box.  But they're all set now and I'll run through them and add another deep tomorrow.

All in all, it was a very enlightening day!

-- Kris

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Trip to an apiary
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:35:03 am »
Sounds like a fun educational trip. :)

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline keeper007

• House Bee
Trip to an apiary
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 12:42:05 am »
congatulations on the new hives :mrgreen:  
keep me posted on what you think of the min. hygenics
im considering getting some next year :D
"Suspect everyone, even those beyond suspicion"
-Steve Leopard/Cirque du Freak

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
Trip to an apiary
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 01:11:24 am »
He gave me the same tour!  The number of bees in his yard are amazing. All the wood working equipment was awesome too.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
Trip to an apiary
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 07:59:38 am »
Are you referring to Harvey's Honey ?

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Trip to an apiary
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 08:32:07 am »
Yes, Bob Harvey.  He's a very helpful and knowledgeable guy.  I wondered on the way home how he could possibly keep track of all his hives, sread out as they are all over the east coast US thoughout the year.  It would be a logistical nightmare for me.  But then again, I keep a log of every inspection on every hive.  Still, walking through the beeyards, he knows which hives just swarmed, which ones were just checked for queens, which ones have stores of honey or not.  Amazing!

-- Kris

Offline DENNIS

• New Bee
bees
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 10:57:26 am »
:D
I have bought 4 of those hives from Harvy and they look great. We'll see how they winter. Now I have a total of ten italian, nwc,and min. hygenics

Now we'll see who wins race is on

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Trip to an apiary
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 12:50:47 pm »
Well, I have to say, they were a set of aggravated hives.  No inner covers, and a couple frames were attached to the outer cover in the bigger hive.  Some burr and cross comb in that hive, too, which I cut out, and several frames of brood in both.  They were very full, and were all over in the air around the hives.  Got a small sting on my left hand through leather and latex gloves.  They don't follow much when you walk away, though.  I quit the beeyard after working them.  I'll give them a day or three to settle in before checking them out again.

Could be that we're overcast and threatening rain, too.   :(

-- Kris

anything