Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hi from Yarra Valley  (Read 4391 times)

Offline The Green Man

• New Bee
Hi from Yarra Valley
« on: January 29, 2013, 07:48:45 am »
Hi all from the Yarra Valley.

I have wanted to keep bees for a long time, and now find myself with the opportunity to do so. 
I live and work on a farm and the boss asked me to do a course on beekeeping so we could get some hives.  Unfortunately the course he had picked out is booked and I cant seem to find any others with places free.  I wonder if I need to do one at all?  Youtube is my friend and I have re-read my copy of Smithers'  "Backyard Beekeeping" a couple of times.  I would like some hands on before I am responsible for my own hive but I'm not sure of the value I will get from a course? 
I have seen the club in Doncaster...anyone a member?  Is it any good?
Anyone from around my way mind showing a hive and having a chat?
I look forward to reading all the wonderful info in here and hope I can contribute some as well.

cheers,

Brodie

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Hi from Yarra Valley
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 09:16:57 am »
Hello Brodie, welcome to the forum.

Offline prestonpaul

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 11:47:07 pm »
Hi Brodie. The club in Doncaster is good & has a great beginners program. The classes are very popular but they run them regularly so best get along to a meeting and put your name down if you are keen.
I was a member last year but have trouble getting to meetings as I am a shift worker so my membership lapsed this year  :'(

Offline The Green Man

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2013, 08:21:58 am »
Cheers...I will have to trot along to the Feb meet and say G'day.

Do you think we have left it too late in the season?  I think an established colony might be ok but a new one could struggle?  I guess the someone at the club might have a colony to offload but I havent found many in my google travels.  At least not very close to me.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2013, 08:44:57 am »
Welcome to the forum, Brodie.  Sounds like you have already caught the bee addiction, it will get worse after you have some.  Good luck

Joe

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2013, 11:24:52 am »
Welcome!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline johnauck

• House Bee
  • Smalltime Beekeeper In Victoria Australia
    • Our Permaculture SIte
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2013, 08:17:41 pm »
Hi Brodie and welcome.

I wouldn't wait until you have completed a course. There is plenty to do before you get bees, making boxes up, getting tooled up, lots of reading.
I started with a single hive, a captured swarm a few years ago, now I have 8 hives. I did not do a course or join a bee club. I only recently discovered this forum which has been very helpful with some issues.

The other day I discovered this short intro course that is local : http://www.whyskills.com.au/vicki-bickerton.html

I have heard the club in Doncaster is very good, I am in Ringwood but never have the time to attend club meetings. I would join up and attend if I had time.

It is not too late in the season to start a new colony. However, you'd be lucky to catch a swarm now. But you never know.

good luck

cheers

john

Offline The Green Man

• New Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 09:35:41 pm »
Thanks John I'll check that link out.

Now it's just a matter of convincing the boss to go ahead with it before the course.  Hopefully my enthusiasm will help!

Cheers.

:)

Offline The Green Man

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 01:03:00 am »
Hi folks,

Well I've been given the go ahead to acquire the hive and bees.  Yippee!
The hive is the easy part...I cant seem to find any suitable bees!  I did find some nearby on fleabay but they come hive and all, and I would prefer to start with new equipment, so would the boss.  I am waiting for a call-back and I have some folks with their ears to the ground but I thought I should try here too.
Any suggestions or advice?  So far no commercial bee suppliers I have called (nearby) can help till spring.
Thank you
Brodie.

Offline The Green Man

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:27:27 am »
Had a callback...bees are go...let the games begin!

Offline johnauck

• House Bee
  • Smalltime Beekeeper In Victoria Australia
    • Our Permaculture SIte
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:39:01 pm »
Had a callback...bees are go...let the games begin!

Very groovy!

cheers

john