Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Where do stings hurt most?  (Read 7492 times)

Offline specialkayme

• Field Bee
Re: Where do stings hurt most?
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 12:02:07 am »
But its been known that the more often you get stung, the less painful it becomes. 

Dr. Ambrose, who has a PhD in entomology, has been keeping bees for 40 years, and who co-authored the most recent rewrite of "The Hive and the Honeybee" was a professor of mine for my Introduction to the Honey Bee course at N.C. State. While in his class, I asked him "I bet after a while you get used to the stings, and they don't hurt as much, right?" His response was "No. The most recent sting I received hurt just as much as my first sting. The only difference is you learn to not care as much about it."

My assumption is it is just a myth.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 12:08:41 am »
myth is a good word.  better than BS, which was what i was going to use  :evil:  it still hurts!  i still cuss.

it's also a myth that more stings make you immune to reactions.  probably true for some folks.  not for me.  some people even get worse.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bulldog

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 01:15:02 am »
funny thing is to the best of my recollection, even as a child, i don't think i've been stung by a honeybee. i've gotten stung by bumblebees, wasps, hornets and yellowjackets though. worst ones were on the tip of my index finger, an inch below my eye, right behind the ear where the ear meets the head, in the middle of the back between the shoulderblades, and my pinky toe ( i used to run around barefoot as a kid and end up stepping on bumblebees )
Confucius say "He who stand on toilet is high on pot"

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 10:49:53 am »
Septum on my nose.  I cried...

I don't think I have not worn my vale around my bees since then.

I got hit there once and I'm now the same way.  I'm not going to run the risk if I'm getting into a hive.

As for the more you get stung the less it hurts?  Not for me.  It still hurts just as much but I don't get concerned any more.  I don't really swell anymore on the hands though and the red spot is normally gone with 24 hours.  Even the freak hit I get in the face from a bee that crawls under my veil don't swell the way they used to though they still hurt.
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 11:11:37 am »
I could probably count the number of stings I have had individually since my beekeeping experiences began in 2005.  Every bee sting hurts, that burning sensation, for about a minute, and then gone.  Mostly now, I don't even react, nor swell, nor itch, guess I am one of the fortunate ones.

Now, where they are most painful?  I would venture on the face.  During my second year of keeping bees, my Cousin called me to come down to her place, as a small swarm as in a tree.  Being rather a show off that I can at times be, I thought I would just go down there and get that swarm, with no protection of any sort.  The cluster was in a tree that was to tall for me to reach, but my Husband towers more than a foot higher than my teeny tiny body, and he could reach the branch.  He used a saw to cut the branch, asking me to hold it up.  Hmmm...guess that I am somewhat weaker than I could ever believe.  I couldn't hold the branch, and the branch kind of dropped, bumping the swarm off that branch and landed on my head.  I can still remember feeling all those little feet grabbing onto parts of my face, as they braced to evert their stinger into that which betrayed their comfort and safety in that cluster.  I sustained about 10 stings to my face that day, and have the pictures of a most swollen face to prove it.  Needless to say, I now always wear a veil any time I do any thing with my bees, or others' bees.  I am superwoman with a veil, I am not vulnerable to anything those bees may or may not chose to do to me.  I can do anything, smiling that big smile.  I find that I can even tell now from that experience of feeling their feet, before some bee may chose to give me a sting, I can feel them alight upon me, their little legs bracing for that punch.  Actually that may be a slight exaggeration, not always do I feel this grab, but on a sensitive spot like my face, I so surely can.  Just a little story about a little story, beautiful and most awesome days, of love and health.  Cindi

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline L Daxon

• Field Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2010, 11:19:00 am »
Cindi,
You ought to post that picture of your swollen face.  Not that we want to revel in your pain, you understand. . . . . :-D
linda d

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 11:53:48 am »
Cindi,
You ought to post that picture of your swollen face.  Not that we want to revel in your pain, you understand. . . . . :-D

OK, Linda, you asked for it, smiling.  This is a kind of old post, of an older time, some will recall vividly the post of both my sweet Husband and myself, go here, beautiful days, of love, sunshine and health. Cindi

http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,7347.0.html
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 05:46:29 pm »
Ouch.   

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2010, 08:25:16 pm »
Ok so here is some pics of my ear.

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2010, 10:05:42 pm »
Is your ear still ringing?  Double ouch.   And look at what it did to your face.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 12:41:37 am »
Looks like he got stung by an African bee........ :mrgreen:
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline brer

• New Bee
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 09:59:16 am »
Pete

I feel for you.

I just got hit on the ear yesterday.  Not as swollen as yours, but still annoying.

I think the worst spot personally is between the eyes.  I hate looking like a chinaman.

Offline Tommyt

• Field Bee
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:13 am »
Looks like he got stung by an African bee........ :mrgreen:

I didn't know it spread like that :-D :mrgreen:
"Not everything found on the internet is accurate"
Abraham Lincoln

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2010, 12:23:58 pm »
I am lucky they hurt for about 3 min., but I would have to say that the ones on the face hurt the most.  It also depends on how fast you remove the stinger. I used to work my bees with just a veil but now I will always have a veil and gloves on. I only use smoke if I am shaking bees off of combs and then only if the bees get out of hand.  I have lit my smoker about six times this year and have made up about 20 nucs. i don't believe in smoking a hive just for my comfort.  If you are scared of bees maybe you should seek another hobby or line of work.  If you have to smoke your bees just to remove the cover you should requeen.  Their are bees that you don't have to smoke to work. I live by my signature below.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline ProPacific

• House Bee
    • Pro Pacific Bee Removal Website
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2010, 08:53:08 pm »
Now that I think about it, stings probably hurt the most when you are doing something illegal!  :-D

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2010, 08:56:24 pm »
Now that I think about it, stings probably hurt the most when you are doing something illegal!  :-D

Only in Cali......

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 04:07:53 pm »
On both ears was very uncomfortable , but the worst time was on the top of my foot , didn´t tie my shoe laces .
 Probably would´t have been so bad , but with a knee jerk reflex I stompt on the sting with my other foot and killed the bee , also pushed all the venom into my foot :hissyfit: Still have a scar too prove it , it took over 8 months to heal.     edward  :-P

Offline Pete

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2010, 04:10:26 am »
Got another one on the face near my lip today, nowhere near as painful, nowhere near as much swelling. Pretty sure am not allergic.

That hot hive if going this week, thankfully. Any other get hot and i will have to practice my requeening skills. I am guessing she is old and cranky as its this years swarm?

anything