Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A short intro  (Read 10020 times)

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
A short intro
« on: November 17, 2006, 07:20:36 pm »
Hello, I just started in may of this year with 21 hives with plans to goto 100.  I want to do some pollination this spring along with producing orange blossom and gallbery honey.  Already have locations ready for me to set out the hives and most equipment is ready.  Here is a pic of the home yard.

The out yard where the 40 nuc's were made is about 6 miles down the road and will hopefully get a pic for you over the weekend. 

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: A short intro
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2006, 08:26:43 pm »
Nice layout.  Is ths your first year in beekeeping?  My first year I only had 2 packages and then took on 2 more packages from a fellow that was in my beekeeping class.  He didn't have room at his place.  I found that 4 colonies was just right for me to learn how to look after them as best I could, I think that if I had more it would have been overwhelming.  Your yard looks great.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 08:34:10 pm »
Cindi, I have never had bees before and there was a learning curve.  I got connected with a guy up the road that has kept bees for 50 years and a lot of info from here got me through to this point in the season.  Now the true test will be revealed this spring.
Thank's for the comments.

dallas

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2006, 03:40:10 am »

You have really strong start.

I met our biggest beekeeper who has 3000 hives. When he started he knew nothing about bees. Near him there lived one of the leaging beekeeping developer in Finland and he went to work with him without fee. The teacher had 200 hives.

I got my knowledge from one of those leading beekeeper in Finland. He had worked in Canada and absorbed from America the style to nurse bees.

What I mean: find successful beekeeper and go to learn with him. 

When I talked with our biggest beekeper, I told that I have not enough time to go through my 20 hives. Oh boy he said! They handled 450 hives today.  They go through those 3000 hives in 10 days cycles.

First of all when you add your hives you need good stores, migration system  and money to invest.

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2006, 05:31:52 pm »
Next year I expect the pics to show all the hives on 4 & 6 hive pallets and not so orderly.  Going sideline clamours for effeciency not neatness.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 08:08:00 pm »
Yes Brian I'm planning on going to pallets very soon, the bad back is going to require the upgrade.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 08:39:50 pm »
>the bad back is going to require the upgrade.

But you still have to lift the boxes off to inspect the hive....
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2006, 10:56:26 pm »
I'd say that you should become a 8 frame medium sideliner if he haas a bad back.  You know that sentence only makes sense if you're a beekeeper?
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 08:30:12 pm »
If you are using ten frames Langstroth  boxes, then cut those into half so that each box now are 5 frames. use oil hardened massonite to make the missing wals. Now you can use those as honey boxes by placing those side by side on top of the brood box(es). You now only have to lift half the weight, and the bees don't care.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 08:55:58 pm »
Good idea, thanks for the info Jorn.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2006, 08:12:42 am »
Thanks! I put your solution in Finnish bee forum. I will use it. I have too much langstroths as super.

These are easy to use as mating nucs when halves are on the top of hive over the excluder.

http://bees.freesuperhost.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1165666279/0

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 08:55:44 pm »
Good idea, thanks for the info Jorn.

Then you also can invite your wife to help in harvesting honey out in the field :-) I got this Idea years back from a tiny little girl using poly langstroth hives in her town garden.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2006, 01:13:08 pm »
Ten frames Langstroth  boxes, cut those into half -- 5 frames. use oil hardened massonite to make the missing wals. Now you can use those as honey boxes by placing those side by side on top of the brood box(es).

Jorn, please define oil hardened massonite.  I think this idea is great, great, great....but need further clarification.  I have all Langstroth 10 frame, and don't want to purchase more boxes this year.  I have spent enough and choose not to buy more.  But ya, man can they get heavy, but it does build up fabulous muscles.  I am very strong by end of summer.  I am going to implement your idea this upcoming year.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Jorn Johanesson

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2006, 02:13:31 pm »
Jorn, please define oil hardened massonite. 

I think the closest I can get to this is Masonite Hardboard an about 3mm thick hard squeezed wooden fibre plate hardened with oil.

I think this url give a more accurate explanation :
http://www.currys.com/artistsmaterial/prodinfo.asp?SubcatID=791&catID=6

or google for masonite

it is often used as indoor door surfaces

In Demark it can be bought in a shop for timber and buildings supply
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006, 07:12:14 pm by Jorn Johanesson »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2006, 11:36:49 pm »
Jorn, thanks for the link, googled it also, lots of information.  Great day. Cindi

Offline bee crazy

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2007, 07:59:54 am »
Dallas, How about a spring follow up.
How are those bees doing? have you finished up your spring build up yet? Making your splits, being in Florida and all I guess your a busy man now. :-D

I'm in the north and I'm going to start feeding patties and syrup this next next week to start my build up. I have seven hives I would to split in eight to 10 weeks. Depending on weather should coinside with our May flow.

Steve
Steve

www.cozynestfarm.com

All that's golden must bee honey!

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2007, 10:00:54 am »
Dallas, How about a spring follow up.
How are those bees doing? have you finished up your spring build up yet? Making your splits, being in Florida and all I guess your a busy man now. :-D

I'm in the north and I'm going to start feeding patties and syrup this next next week to start my build up. I have seven hives I would to split in eight to 10 weeks. Depending on weather should coinside with our May flow.

Steve

Good Idea,  I have fared well through our mild winter and almost half the bees are in a orange grove with the rest going in the coming week.  I will be making more splits after the colony's builds up the second brood box.

Good luck on your expansion and let us know how it goes.

anything