Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Are any suits sting proof?  (Read 12877 times)

Offline hpm08161947

• New Bee
Re: Are any suits sting proof?
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2009, 02:14:01 pm »
You had the exact kind of day I had yesterday!  We were almost doing the same thing and thinking the same thoughts.  Only difference was I went back and got my smoke and finished the job and I swoll up.. still swoll up.  The worst was the bee that got into my veil and stung me on the face and then dove into my ear... nearly had a panick attack - glad I didn't rip that veil off.

Just one dumb rookie to another....  :)

Offline homer

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2009, 08:54:59 pm »
In one of the beekeeping catalogs they advertise a TYVEK (the stuff that they use to wrap houses with before putting on siding) suit that is supposedly sting proof.  Cheap, too.  I think it was only around $25.  The problem is that these suits were designed for use by people in indsutrial applications i.e. working with chemicals, heavy duty sand plasting and so on.  So they do not breathe AT ALL.  I don't know that sting proof would be worth cooking out in the sun.
tyvek is a form of gortex membrain made by dupont its a spin off or cheap imitation of gortex. it does breath quite well and its water proof on the out side. used one as a rain suit once.as for bee proof ha! bee can't cling to it. but i sure they can sting through it.

According to the catalog they can't sting through it.

http://www.cedarglenbees.com/products.asp?cat=41&pg=9

Offline Wynoochee_newbee_guy

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2009, 01:31:22 am »
In one of the beekeeping catalogs they advertise a TYVEK (the stuff that they use to wrap houses with before putting on siding) suit that is supposedly sting proof.  Cheap, too.  I think it was only around $25.  The problem is that these suits were designed for use by people in indsutrial applications i.e. working with chemicals, heavy duty sand plasting and so on.  So they do not breathe AT ALL.  I don't know that sting proof would be worth cooking out in the sun.
tyvek is a form of gortex membrain made by dupont its a spin off or cheap imitation of gortex. it does breath quite well and its water proof on the out side. used one as a rain suit once.as for bee proof ha! bee can't cling to it. but i sure they can sting through it.
yes they can sting thru it. and a side note. cedarglen links their web site to Brushy mountain site and they mark up the price both on items and shipping. just go to brushy mountain direct.

According to the catalog they can't sting through it.

http://www.cedarglenbees.com/products.asp?cat=41&pg=9
Its All Fun And Games Till I lose an EYE!

Offline joker1656

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2009, 01:50:20 am »
hpm, LOL glad it wasn't worse for you.  Kudos on finishing the job.  I did too, but later. 

I hope u quit swelling.  Kinda weird, but I think I am getting more immune.  Maybe the stings through the suit aren't as bad, but I haven't been swelling much at all.  I am pretty sure that the stinger stayed in my skin, though.  I can usually feel the venom pumping in until it is scraped out, so I think I am gettin' dat immunity.

AND..... "dumb rookie" is too lofty of a goal for me.  LOL
"Fear not the night.  Fear that which walks the night.  I am that which walks the night, BUT only EVIL need fear me..."-Lt. Col. David Grossman

anything