Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee lining  (Read 1969 times)

Offline jxbeeman

• New Bee
Bee lining
« on: April 08, 2005, 09:06:20 pm »
well this is the second hive i've found using the beelining method.  WAY COOL huh!!!!  though i think i cheat in that i use a GPS and a laptop hehhehe.  i set up a honey/sugarwater station and let it sit for a couple of days.  after that there are like couple hundred bees coming and going constantly.  i mark the spot on the GPS which in turn marks a spot on my topo map on my laptop.  then i walk say 100 yards in the direction they are flying and set another marker spot.  then on the laptop i draw a straight line for say 2 miles.  after that all i have to do is follow the line using the GPS and waa laa bee's.  if your not patient though it gets irritating trying to find the true line the bees are taking.  tom i will be taking out the hive i've found.  it is in an old building about a mile and half away from my starting station.  i've talked to the person and he says that there was 2 hives in it but i haven't verified it yet.  i only saw the one when i was beelining.  i didn't think to look on the back once i found the first one.  so i'm going to give my new bee vac a try if they have those eletrical outlet bushes around.  otherwise i'll have to do it the old fashioned way.  i'll try to post some pics when i'm done.  later.

anything