Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee drinking water  (Read 15425 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
Re: Bee drinking water
« Reply #60 on: June 04, 2007, 10:37:43 pm »
Always good to have a water source near the hives so they can cool off. Especially over the summer. We have small two layer pond in the middle of our flower garden. Pond plants and gold fish add color.

I highly recommend one. I see the bees using the pond more then the flowers.

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #61 on: June 05, 2007, 11:07:57 am »
What great photos...Maybe I will put some water hyacinth in the pond bottom of our fountain!

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #62 on: June 05, 2007, 11:37:02 am »
It's funny.  The two hives we have at my mothers are directly above a garden pond.  They ignore it!  They go to her backyard birdbath by the dozens!  She's put a shingle in it so they don't drown.

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2007, 01:44:13 am »
   Well they haven't gone to the board yet.  Maybe I should get some pool water and put it in boardman feeders.  At least get some decent use out of them that won't incite robbing. :lol:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Moonshae

• Field Bee
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2007, 10:48:28 am »
I thought about using an inside feeder (top or boardman) to provide a water source, but wouldn't that make things too humid in the hive?
"The mouth of a perfectly contented man is filled with beer." - Egyptian Proverb, 2200 BC

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #65 on: June 07, 2007, 10:57:40 am »
Moonshae- I dont see how it would, bees do an excelent job of making it dry in the hive any ways.

reinbeau- how close are the hives to the pond? I think if its right under the hive they are just gonna fly right over it with out noticing, right?
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline beekeeperookie

• House Bee
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2007, 01:06:24 pm »
so far i been using a dog waterer and a chicken water they are about three feet from each of my two hives and they seem to use it or a least i seen some bees on there

anything