Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hello from Columbia Station, Ohio  (Read 2595 times)

Offline BlueEggFarmer

• House Bee
    • Blue Egg Farm
Hello from Columbia Station, Ohio
« on: June 22, 2007, 09:53:52 am »
Hi everybody, we are new at beekeeping this year and always have lots of questions to ask.
We have a small 50 acre farm, 5 acres are in garden the rest in hay and woods. We also raise chickens for eggs and meat, pigs and sheep.
I have personally noted there has been a decline of honeybees coming to our gardens to pollinate over the last 4 or 5 years, then started reading about all the terrible losses that beekeepers in the area and around the country have been having so though it best to help our garden out by learning about bees and beekeeping.
It has only been 2 months so far with our 3 package hives but they seem to be doing great and bustling with activity.

Offline pondman

• House Bee
Re: Hello from Columbia Station, Ohio
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 10:28:15 am »
Hello

Welcome to where learning never ends. Nice to have you aboard. Check this site out.
http://www.beemaster.com/honeybee/beehome.htm

Here is another great place to learn alot. This site is a must read sure has helped me out.
http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2007, 11:03:56 am »
BlueEggFamer.  Welcome.   Your package bees will help your pollination wonderfully.  Good luck, nice to have you here.  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi

By the way, nice eggs!!!  Our Indian Runnners make pretty eggs too, and the Roans do too.
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline deerhunter

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2007, 06:06:43 pm »
I don't know where Columbia Station is but Good luck with the bees its a fun hobby.
Its so dry in Southern Ohio I am going to start feeding the bees sugar water because they are using the honey as fast as they can make it :'(
No Joy around here.
I am going to split some hives and hope the fall flow will get them through the winter.

Offline BlueEggFarmer

• House Bee
    • Blue Egg Farm
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2007, 08:09:57 pm »
Thank you everyone and DeerHunter hang in there. We are about 25 miles sw of Cleveland. It has been pretty dry here too, however my turkeys did a rain dance yesterday  and we got about a quarter inch. I'll have to send them down to your place   :)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2007, 03:32:55 am »
BlueEggFarmer.  Bring on the turkeys!!!!  Best of a wonderful day, and great life to boot.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service