Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: My losses  (Read 3342 times)

Offline doak

• Super Bee
My losses
« on: May 07, 2007, 08:51:53 pm »
I can only say that I didn't move my colonies, and there is no farming within range of how far bees are said to travel when gathering nector. The forest service or the timber co's didn't spray here last summer/fall.
I had been loosing 2 or 3 colonies out of 8 to 14.
This last fall I lost 7 out of 12.
Other bees didn't come and take the honey that was left and the wax moth didn't get in the comb.
The only treatment I gave mine was for the hive beetle.
So now, this year as soon as the honey crop is off, I plan to treat with terramycin and fumagilin-B.
Will also start the grease paddy treatment.
Plus using the drone comb to help with Varroa Mites, and get into the bottom board thing.
Would like to hear any sugestions on treatment for hivebettles.

This is why I am going this way. I have concluded most of the colonies I lost were in a bad place, not enough am sun, two much squirral activity. Using the hive top for their dinner table.
And me not using fumi and greas paddies.

On closing I would like to say, I wish the serious Bee keepers and others who care about this proublem
would leave the "joking" to the clowns and Late shows
I don't think it is anything to joke about.
Don't get me wrong, I can stand a little humor.
doak

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: My losses
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 09:00:57 pm »
you will find a lot of good, serious info here.  you will also find that most of us have a sense of humor and a warped one for some of us. we often disagree and lighten the mood with some humor.  we (most of us) have respect for those we disagree with.   we leave it to you to skip what you do not want to read.  we assume that you can tell the difference between the serious info and the jokes.  if you can not, please let one of us know and we will clear it up for you.

if i did not welcome you before.  welcome to the forums.  i am only in my 2nd year of beekeeping and have learned much here. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 09:23:42 pm »
Kathyp, I understand what you're saying about the humor and jokes.
I am in my 8th yr so I am just about as new to it as you are.
I am in a squeeze right now. We had a really good early flow here in central Ga. and I didn't have enough ready supers. Now I have another swarm in a tree to high for me to work with.
I have set up a deep hive body under it and put sugar syrup in it. I got one  Easter weekend like that. They stayed up 4 days and came to the box.
I had one deep box and three medium's on it,"it was the biggest" swarm I've ever seen. I have added another super allready and the brood is in the third box from the bottom.
This swarm is about the smallest I've seen, so one deep should do it.
Sorry for getting too far out in left field, on the CCD forum. :)
doak

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 09:26:33 pm »
not to worry.

i wish i had your luck with swarms.  other than one cut out this winter that did not survive, i have not had any calls. the word is out, but i wait.

at 8 years, you have a lot of experience.  you will be a great asset to this forum!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything