Welcome, Guest

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10
GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM. / Robbing: an inside job?
« Last post by yes2matt on Today at 10:23:26 AM »
What I have here is two Bushkill plywood nuc boxes, I make them with a couple big holes in the bottom, screened on the inside. Then I put the bees in the bottom box and the feeder in the top box with the lid on. But the entrance to the top box is still open.

What it looks to me is that the  (robber?) bees are coming into the top box and being fed thru the screen. What??

I think I saw similar behavior last year, in a more typical entrance with robber screen. So are the bees doing the feeding "home bees" which have been coerced? Or maybe robbers who have gained entrance and are working inside?
The population in my hives is noticeably increased, looks like doubled.
I agree with removing QE.
I think most well experienced Beekeepers do not use a QE.
I read for a worker to keep fighting her way through the QE can reduce their life by 50%.

Others, please correct me, if this is not correct.
Typically the Queen lays from the center of each frame outward in an arch and the workers will store honey at the top of frames.
If you just have one Brood Box, the Queen naturally does not cross the Honey line.
When you put on the second Brood Box, the workers will move the honey from top of frames in the lower Brood Box to the top of second box and then store the Honey in the Super when you add it.
In a natural hive, the Queen and the bees don't typically lay eggs where they store honey.
My next reading assignment will be getting more info and get a better understanding of Queen cycles and issues.
GARDENING AROUND THE HOUSE / Re: Potatoes
« Last post by Captain776 on Today at 10:05:47 AM »
The little black slugs only ate the leaves as u said, never bothered the taters
THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM ))) / Re: Manchester Atrocity
« Last post by Acebird on Today at 09:56:23 AM »
Yes, closed borders could have prevented it.

No closed borders would not have prevented it.  Getting our ass out of the Middle East where it doesn't belong would have prevented it.  Do you think closed boarders would have prevented us from getting into the second world war?  Iddee, if the boarders were closed you wouldn't be here because you ain't native american.  However if the Indians had closed the boarder I am sure the Europeans would have found a way in.  So will Isis.
GREETINGS/TELL US ABOUT YOURSELF / Re: Hello from California
« Last post by cao on Today at 09:51:25 AM »
Welcome  :happy:.
DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING / Re: Flow Hives
« Last post by Acebird on Today at 09:43:45 AM »
Most suggest that with anything that is plastic.
THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM ))) / Re: Trump is in Trouble
« Last post by Captain776 on Today at 09:41:37 AM »
It is amazing to me........the Russian collusion conspiracy is falling apart by the day because of no evidence or proof, Comey said he didn't do it, CIA said there is no evidence but the Special Prosecution is continuing, but on the other side, there is indisputable proof Hillary and Buckwheat broke NUMEROUS LAWS and not one word about it
Thank you all for your replies.
Like Bush 84 said above, LOTS of Drone comb, it would be great if they filled it with honey but it has eggs n Larvae in it.
I have surrendered on Foundationless and will use wax starter Strip.
It is time for a second Brood Box on 3 hives this week, I am prepping the equipment.
Go through the lower Brood Box and check the 6 or 7 Foundationless frames I put in, based on what they look like if I remove n replace or leave them.

When I add the second Brood Box, should I move a frame or 2 up to second box or just put all 8 frames with starter Strip?

Bruce
THE COFFEE HOUSE ((( SOCIAL - ROOM ))) / Re: Trump is in Trouble
« Last post by Acebird on Today at 09:35:07 AM »
I get it if it's stuff that's not covered by the state program, but what would be the other reasons?

Pressure from the insurance companies.  Same thing that mucks up all government programs, the takers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 10