Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee Stings and Smoking?  (Read 4693 times)

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
Bee Stings and Smoking?
« on: July 22, 2007, 02:54:58 am »
http://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/wildlife/bees.htm

"The body responds to stings by liberating fluid from the blood to flush venom components from the area. This causes redness and swelling at the sting site"

Smoking tobacco dilates your blood vessels.

Ive noticed lately, (I got stung 2 days ago well 3 now I guess)  that when I smoke my sting site tingles, and my hairs stand up more in this site. Is this because of the increased blood flow? Would smoking cause the swelling to get larger? Because my arm is swollen pretty good and Ive had a few more cigarettes than I usually do. Last time I got stung it barely swelled. Could this even increase the time it takes for it to heal, theirs more blood flow, so theirs more "flushing" going on.

Save me the lecture about smoking I already know.
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline BBHJ

• New Bee
Re: Bee Stings and Smoking?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 03:34:48 am »
IDK but I dont think a smoker's sting swells or turn more red than a non smoker. I think its all to do with how each individuals body reacts to each sting than anything. For example when I was younger I didnt smoke & when I would get stung It would swell up BIG and turn VERY red. It would itch like crazy & stay like that for days. Now I smoke like a freight train & when I get stung I can hardly find the spot right after. It doesnt swell up any more nor turn any more red than a misquito bite. The next day its pretty much gone. Also my bro. doesnt smoke but he is very allergic, much like I use to be. When he gets stung (which he does almost every single time that we check our hives) he swells up alot and it turns really red. Anyone can have an allergic reaction at anytime no matter if they've never had one before or not. Anyone can also have one so bad that it causes death if they dont get help quick enough. Thats one reason why EVERY BEEKEEPER should carry benidril in their vehicle at all times. It can possibly slow the reaction down enough (maybe even stop it IDK) untill he/she gets medical attention. It can help save your life.

Offline doak

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 10:42:32 am »
Two main things, The amount of venom that goes in has the biggest effect. When you catch the bee early in the sting and get the stinger out,"along with the venom sac" you don't get as much venom in you.
After being stung several times at different times over a month or two, I still swell a lot "if" the venom is allowed to go in.The first stings will have a greater effect, than the ones later, "again", depending on the amount of venom you get. I am speaking "only of itchy, redness and swelling.
ANYONE, who has reactions other than normal itchy, redness, and swelling, SHOULD, be careful.
doak

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 10:49:09 am »
Well, I wish our rainy weather would stop so I would have to worry about getting bee stings  :).

I want to perform some BVT on my first finger on my left hand.  This is the hand that grabs weeds and pulls them, my first finger is getting kind of achey, I am sure it is the beginning of arthritis.  So I want to get onto bee stings. 

About smoking and bees.  I don't think it makes a hither dither whether you smoke or not, the reactions probably would be the same.  Have an awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 12:21:06 pm »
i thought i told you to quit smoking!!!!   :-x
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 12:36:28 pm »
SKA doesn't suck, SMOKING SUCKS! Sorry, Nepenthes, couldn't help it. Now I will not lecture cause no human is perfect and we all have some sort of vice, we all have something that is perhaps a little outta balance. I believe everything in moderation, but hey life can be crazy sometimes.

Cindi, my fingers have been fine enough (not much knuckle pain) until recently, and I see a connection with my finger pain and sodium consumption. My wife and I had sushi the other day, and the next morning and for a few days my pain was back, and when I lay off the sodium its not as bad.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2007, 01:00:52 pm »
i thought i told you to quit smoking!!!!   :-x

He will quit when you do  :roll:

I stopped smoking about a year and a half ago and I notice no difference in the before and after stings.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2007, 01:29:46 pm »
 :-D  and as someone who makes a regular practice of quitting, i can say with some authority....it's easier if done sooner!

as for smoking and stings, i doubt it makes much difference.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 01:30:36 am »
Cindi,

You can come by soon and pinch off my swarm cells with no gloves.  I guarantee that hive will provide some apitherapy for your arthritis.  steve :-D

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 09:48:03 am »
Steve, what!!!!  You've got some swarm cells?  Hmmm....now I wonder what on earth mine are doing.  I wouldn't worry about coming over to take off your swarm cells for BVT, I bet I have enough of my own :evil:

I remember when taking one of the seminars over at John Gibeau's he told us, guaranteed......if the bees have 3 days of weather where they can't fly, there is a strong chance of them getting so "bored" that they commence swarm.  But it is rather late in the season for swarming....isn't it?

Maybe you have to do a cutdown split if you have the swarm cells now?

Hey, when is the rain gonna stop, kind of had enough.  Good for the weeds growing though.  Have a wonderful day, great life, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 11:20:13 am »
cindi

i know what you mean about the rain.  it looks like winter and feels like the deep south!  however, it may give my bees a chance to put some stuff away and maybe....lave a little for me?  all the weeds and wild flowers are loving it!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 03:39:40 am »
Words alive, the rain is still comin' down. I managed to mow my lawn tonight/today.  It is so lush it took me more than two times the regular time (which is one and one half hours,  but this number is when there is no moisture, just mowing away).  and the beige barrow dumped three times.  Thank the great lights above, my husband takes on this task, yeah!  Thank goodness for the man in my life.  I am a lucky woman.  Best of this beautiful day.  Cindi Maureen Quinlan (when I was a little girl, my Dad would call me Cynthia)  I miss him to this day.  C.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 09:26:53 am »
Our swarm seasons seem to get longer and longer. Yesterday, one of my regular customers said she had a swarm in her backyard in a tree she noticed the day before, it left yesterday. Another had them swarming at another location, and I collected the swarm last Friday in my swarm story post. A friend of mine who is solely a beekeeper said he had swarms throughout the summer last yr.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 11:28:58 am »
JP, do you know where St Matthews Methodist is on Camphor St??

i camped on the floor there in '05  :-)

anything